• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bubble and Squeak

Edward Hawkins

Warren Scout
Hello,
I have just joined. I have two Netherland Dwarves called Bubble and Squeak. I have had them since they were four weeks old. These are my first rabbits and so I will be looking for some advice.

100_0444.jpg

were they from a breeder?? cannot believe they were sold to you at 4 weeks old! :(

they are so cute, but their eyes look very sore. :(

eta: my two were too young when i got them aswell. i didn't know :( they have always had health problems. both had upper respiratory infections and matt is still on treatment after a year. :( xx

They had been hand-reared, as their mother had rejected them, and were on solid food.

were they from a breeder?? cannot believe they were sold to you at 4 weeks old! :(

eta: my two were too young when i got them aswell. i didn't know :( they have always had health problems. both had upper respiratory infections and matt is still on treatment after a year. :( xx

i agree, their eyes look very very sore..
have they seen a vet since you got them?
maybe a checkup wouldnt hurt?

xx

They had been hand-reared, as their mother had rejected them, and were on solid food.

even more reason for them to be looked after longer than even the minimum 8 weeks. that is the usual way anyway.

sounds like an awful breeder. after reading the other thread continuing to breed from them, and not taking them to the vets to treatment, i would report them asap. they sound awful and not taking them for treatment is neglect. :evil:

They're beautiful bunnies! :love::love:

As said above it was really irresponsible of the breeder, and it's very possible that they'll have health problems...their eyes look runny. This could be an eye infection, which would be simple to treat, or could be teeth problems. Taking them to the vet is the only way to find out.

How old are they now?

They are so cute! :love::love:

The breeder is a really nice person, who also rescues animals. She had to find a home for Bubble and Squeak because she was hand-rearing another litter of rabbits.
These pictures were taken just after I got the rabbits. Squeak did have a slight eye infection. I took her to the vets. They gave me some drops and it cleared up within a week. She has been back to the vet for a checkup since and is in fine health.
Bubble has a sore nose at the moment. She is going to the vets every three days for antibiotic injections. They are both full of energy and have a good run around the house twice day. They are now 15 weeks old.

They're beautiful bunnies! :love::love:

As said above it was really irresponsible of the breeder, and it's very possible that they'll have health problems...their eyes look runny. This could be an eye infection, which would be simple to treat, or could be teeth problems. Taking them to the vet is the only way to find out.

How old are they now?

They are so cute! :love::love:

She might have been a really nice person, but it doesn't sound like she knows that much about rabbits.

You say she had to sell the 4 week old babies because she had another litter to handrear. For two mums to reject their kits is a bit worrying. Good breeders mate two females at the same time, so if there's a problem then there'll be a mum to foster the babies. If it's her first litter then it's very important to have another female on hand to be a fosterer.

Handrearing one litter is unfortunate, as they are rarely as strong as bunny fed litters...but two should scream warning bells.

She shouldn't have let them go at 4 weeks, full stop, no doubt about it. Baby buns NEED their mums until 6 weeks, and shouldn't leave them until they're 8. Most breeders have target weights. Handreared bunnies will be behind normal fed kits, and so, even though there is no mum, it's even more important.

I'm so glad that they are healthy, but be on extra special alert as they grow up, as they could get some problems. Have you found out whether your little girl has syphilis? Good luck to her...healing vibes! :love::love::love:

Back