• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jaki's new indoor run :o) New Pics P4, new improved! Some newer pics p6, got mat now!

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Jaki5

Alpha Buck
With thanks to my cousin (Kermit) and her great ideas, my fiance and I have made an indoor run for Jaki :D So far so good, hope she likes it!! Here are a few pics...any suggestions of how to make it better are welcome.

006-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

Thanks,

Mandy x

Last edited:
It's nice, I would put the cage at floor level, so she can have constant access to the run, is that possible, If you do that you should cover the door with cardboard or something so she doesn't get her leg caught. I would keep an eye to see if she can reach that wire, if so can you unplug it or plug it in somewhere else? If you make the run two panels high all the way round she could be in the run all the time

It's nice, I would put the cage at floor level, so she can have constant access to the run, is that possible, If you do that you should cover the door with cardboard or something so she doesn't get her leg caught. I would keep an eye to see if she can reach that wire, if so can you unplug it or plug it in somewhere else? If you make the run two panels high all the way round she could be in the run all the time

Hey, thanks for replying. The cage is only going to be used for night time, she will be in the run all day while I'm at wor, there is a wee bed thing under the cage for her to go into during the day if she wants to lie down. Also her potty is under there to. Yeah my fiance has put a plastic covering over the plug and I'm hoping the wire is up high enough so she can't nibble at it. The run is 2 panels high apart from one slot so I can get in and out, not very tall so can't stretch my wee leg over 2 panels :lol: I'll pop one on when I'm going out and what not.

Thanks again for the advice x

i agree with Louise,

The cage will be better off on the floor, so she can go in and out as she pleases.
And the panels should be x2 all the way around, so that she cant jump out, as no doubt she might try ;) you could always remove one to get in and out and then put it back?

looking good though! :D
Lucky Jaki!! :love:

:wave: Hi, awwww thats gonna be nice for her to move around in, I liked the idea for covering the socket, I think that was good thinking. If it were mine I think I would put the base of the cage on the floor full of hay and let her use it as a litter tray / sitting spot, I would put her blanket in the carrier and put the lid on it as a bed area for her. I would also put an old sheet over the frame of the cage stand and make like a tent. What I would deffo do even if you don't want her using the cage base as a litter tray is get her a square one, I'm not keen on the corner ones I find them awkward, more so for males though. I think you can shop around and probably get one in poundland even and it will just enable her to have hay in there aswell to nibble while she tiddles:lol: Was she a good girl having her nails done?

Oooh just another thought aswell, you can pick up some cable trunking/conduit, it clips over cables just to rule out she won't stretch up and try and nibble the cable above the covered socket. Most DIY stores sell it I think by the metre for a couple of quid. Just to be on the safe side :D

:wave: I agree with above it seems such a waste to have her in the cage at night when if you lowered it she could have constant access and excercise to the pen area, lots of hay inside the cage too as already mentioned...literally cover the floor of the cage (you could line it with newspaper first if you wanted), it's a main part of the diet, a good boredom breaker and good for her teeth :D buns are not hard to toilet train so I'd get an oblong litter tray to put in the pen...you will soon see where she 'prefers to go' :oops: keep it in same place all the time :D

Yes I wouldn't bother with the top part of the cage if the NIC cubes are high enough just put it away and use the bottom, you can always maybe get a cheap bit of net curtain or an old sheet to peg over the top of the bits she might jump out of if your worried, I think it will do her head in if she is put back in the cage, I know my little male would have a fit if I did that to him:lol:

i think you can get specially made stairs ;) so she can go up and down to her cage but it would give her more room (underneath the cage)
not sure if the cage is too high though? :?

Wow thanks for all the advice, the only reason for me not putting the cae og the floor is lack of space, I wouldn't have anywhere to put the wee bed thing if I put the cage on the floor, and to be honest I'm not sure she would jump in and out of the cage as a while ago before we go the cage stand it used to sit on the floor and when she had free play time she wouldn't go near the cage. And Also I have nowhere to keep the lid of her cage if I had to take it off and there is defo not any room to have it as a tent like area.

I like the idea of an oblong litter tray though, will defo look into getting one of those. My cousin (Kermit) used them and I agree they are much roomier than the traingle one I have.

This is just a temporary run until I get married and move to married quarters, there she will have a full garage to run mad in!! Can't wait :)

Vicki - Didn't get a chance to do her nails, he was only back for a day :( and to be honest, he had a long lie as he has been working really hard (in the army) and the next thing we knew he was away again :( I'm gonna get her to the vets and get them done, just while he is away. Her back ones aren't to bad actually x

p.s also going to get wee mats to civer the floor a bit as it is a bit slippy for her but for the time being she is managing ok x

i think you can get specially made stairs ;) so she can go up and down to her cage but it would give her more room (underneath the cage)
not sure if the cage is too high though? :?

Have you rang the vets? She said earlier that the cage is for nightime I think stairs might be a bit dodgy myself :?

Have you rang the vets? She said earlier that the cage is for nightime I think stairs might be a bit dodgy myself :?

Yeah I would't get stairs the cage is to high and she isn't a very confident little bunster when it comes to climbing, thankfully lol. That's why I'm not worried about her getting out of the space only 1 high x

I think she'll have more room overall on a 24hr basis with the cage on the floor, she will go in it eventually particularly if there is some hay in there for her...maybe it doesn't interest her as it is?
I too would avaoid stairs..may be too slippy as it's quite high, and if her nails haven't been clipped may be dangerous too, sometimes pet shops will do nails, thats where I go and pay £3 each bun :D

Id just use the cage base as a litter tray inside the run.Thats what i used to do when id got my pen set up indoors like this
000_0735.jpg

I think she'll have more room overall on a 24hr basis with the cage on the floor, she will go in it eventually particularly if there is some hay in there for her...maybe it doesn't interest her as it is?
I too would avaoid stairs..may be too slippy as it's quite high, and if her nails haven't been clipped may be dangerous too, sometimes pet shops will do nails, thats where I go and pay £3 each bun :D

Her cage prob doesn't interest her lol who would be interested being in there all the time!! I'll give it ago but to be honest she seems fine the wat she is, with the cage being up there it guves her somewhere to hide under as I know she loves to hide!! Got a couple of pics of her lazing about which I will post shortly

We clipped her nails, 2 weeks ago for the first time. As it was the first time my fiance didn't want to clip to much as she is a black bun we read on her to be caeful about her vains (the vet cut her to far down once and the blood was everywhere!!) So her nail's aren't to bad, they just need a wee trim which I will get sorted. Not sure about pet shops round here that does that tbh but £3 is a far cry better than the vets!! xx

Yes def give the cage on floor a whirl as some one said try and do it like a tent (like we use to do when we were kids) :lol:...something to entice her in it and hay WILL help..like blue bunnys set up :D....I don't think the vets charge an awful lot though for nails and at least you know they've been done correctly right length etc :D

Her cage prob doesn't interest her lol who would be interested being in there all the time!! I'll give it ago but to be honest she seems fine the wat she is, with the cage being up there it guves her somewhere to hide under as I know she loves to hide!! Got a couple of pics of her lazing about which I will post shortly

We clipped her nails, 2 weeks ago for the first time. As it was the first time my fiance didn't want to clip to much as she is a black bun we read on her to be caeful about her vains (the vet cut her to far down once and the blood was everywhere!!) So her nail's aren't to bad, they just need a wee trim which I will get sorted. Not sure about pet shops round here that does that tbh but £3 is a far cry better than the vets!! xx

:thumb: thats all sounds cool, she is going to love the garage as long as it has natural light aswell, otherwise you might have to get a little shed instead :lol: Saying that B & Q are doing them now for £89.99 6x4, I paid £179.00 for mine:roll: I think they are such a bargain I am tempted to get another one and join them together :lol:

Id just use the cage base as a litter tray inside the run.Thats what i used to do when id got my pen set up indoors like this
000_0735.jpg

That is really lovely actually it doesn't look to overwhelmed by the base of the cage! I'll give it a go, now to find somewhere for the lid of the cage lol, my mum will do her nut if I fill the cupboard with anymore **** :lol:

Thanks again for all your adivce, just so glad she has somewhere to roam about now, I think she loves it as she is all sprawled out on the floor lol x

That is really lovely actually it doesn't look to overwhelmed by the base of the cage! I'll give it a go, now to find somewhere for the lid of the cage lol, my mum will do her nut if I fill the cupboard with anymore **** :lol:

Thanks again for all your adivce, just so glad she has somewhere to roam about now, I think she loves it as she is all sprawled out on the floor lol x

Awww sounds good x

:thumb: thats all sounds cool, she is going to love the garage as long as it has natural light aswell, otherwise you might have to get a little shed instead :lol: Saying that B & Q are doing them now for £89.99 6x4, I paid £179.00 for mine:roll: I think they are such a bargain I am tempted to get another one and join them together :lol:

I'm not sure what the garage is like yet, still to go up and have a look about and see what the houses are like. Will be doing that once the boss is back lol.
Wow that's expensive for a shed!!! Hopefully the garage will be ok *fingers crossed* x

Back