• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure whats wrong - 2 problems

Kyle

Young Bun
Okay so my bun, Flop is looking really thin but he is eating/drinking normal. Secondly he is not using his back legs properly and he is not moving like a normal rabbit should. So when he stands up on his back legs he will then fall over and can't get back up and just lays there. Also when he moves he drags his back legs. Any one know what the problem may be? I just noticed his leg problem yesterday and he has been looking thin for about a week now. I am going to ring the vets up tomorrow to get an appointment.

He really needs to see a vet right now! Can you please get him an emergency appointment. It sounds like EC. This could paralyse him if you don't act quickly!!

I must admit my first thought was also EC, so please make an appointment with your vet asap. If it is and your buns live together both will need to be treated.

sounds like ec to me too though it could also be a vitamin deficiency or other roblem maybe that he ahs injured his leg etc, or that he is malnurished due to not eating properly or something, if it is ec, then he needs a 28day course of pannacur immediatly, this can be mixed into baby food such as hipp red berry and apple compote if nessacery you still need a good rabbit savvy vets opinion as it can be vit e or d too that causes this or athritus (dependant on age) if it ias athritus then a cartrophen injections every 4 months are helpful and so is glucosamine and metacam. good luck see a good vet asap x

I'm really worried now. Can someone tell me what EC is? He eats quite allot he has burgers excel nuggets in a morning and a mix of veg/fruit in the evening. My vet is closed right now so i'm stuck on what to do. He is about 4 yrs old.

I agree that your Rabbit needs Veterinary attention TODAY

If he has been like that for a week he is now in real trouble. Did you not think of taking him to a Vet last week..................

He *might* have EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) but there are numerous other possibilities and as he has been ill for so long his chances of recovery might well be reduced

Here is some info on EC

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Please contact your Vet now

There'll be an emergency vet somewhere.

If you don't know it then call the vet and it should give you the emergency number. Or you could look online.

He HAS to be seen today.

Back