• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Stasis Condition Loss

Lobo

Mama Doe
I have had two buns go through extended periods of stasis, one was 14 days and the other 13 days. In both cases they have lost substantial muscle tone along the spine.

The first was 3 years ago with my dwarf lop and he didn't regain the loss despite increasing food.

I now have another indoor bun who was in stasis for 13 days up until one week ago. She is currently being treated for a severe tracking infection but is eating, drinking and pooping well. She has 15gms of Oxbow pellets and around 50gms of greens and herbs morning and night as well as unlimited Timothy hay. Her weight is 3.4Kg.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this post long term stasis loss of body condition in any of their buns and anything that might have helped to restore it. Because of our current higher summer temperatures I don't think porridge would be appropriate as it may tend to warm her blood a little too much and she has had some elevated temperatures due to the infection.

I have a Bun with a chronic Otitis Externa (ear infection) and he has been on abx for 3+ months. At the onset of the infection he lost alot of weight/muscle.
This improved when abx were started (Depocillin and Metronidazole) The Metronidazole was stopped after 4 weeks but his weight plummeted again. So he was put back onto Metronidazole (aswell as still being on Depocillin) and his weight has been going up ever since. I *think* that the Metronidazole is having a dual effect in that it's dealing with the anaerobic bacteria in his chronic infection and also reducing the number of bacteria that are affecting his gut wall and limiting absorption of nutrients/affecting motility and eliminating secondary protozoal infection in compromised intestines.

Here is a post from one of our Vet's on here re Metronidazole and why it appears to have helped Morse (my Bun with Otitis) gain weight/condition.

1) Metronidazole reducing abnormal populations of Gram-ve bacteria and 'normalising' bacterial populations allowing more bacteria that help break down plant material and increase available energy
2) Reduction of bacteria that are affecting his gut wall and limiting absorption/affecting motility
3)Reduction of energy demand if infection (ears/elsewhere) is controlled more effectively
4) Elimination of secondary protozoal infection in compromised intestines
5) Metronidazole has an appetite stimulation effect in some species (not rabbits as far as I'm aware but can't see why not!)
6) Morse just likes it.

Admittedly 1-3 are most likely but I wouldn't rule out 6

Great Western Exotic Vets
Great Western Referrals
Swindon
01793 603 800

Thank you so much for that information Jane.

I am concerned that my current girl has lost so much condition without losing actual gross weight. The vet believes that the infection is retaining water so her weight doesn't alter but he is aware of the loss of muscle tone.

He doesn't want her on any S/C treatment at the moment as there are pockets of infection where she received the S/Cs (fluids & analgesics) during the stasis indicating a reaction, so we are using Baytril and Flagyl orally. I would prefer Depocillin as I believe it is the most effective abx in the treatment of abscess.

I will certainly discuss with him the use of Metronidazole.

:oops:Should have checked first; Metronidazole is Flagyl.:oops:

Last edited:
Back