• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay and straw warning.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Mike has just come home from buying some hay- big 4 foot bales- and the farmers were saying that our hay will be going up from £18 a bale to £20 a bale, some hay is selling at £26 a bale. THis is because there is now shortage due to the bad snow fall and farmers have had to use more hay than normal, so far, to feed their own animals. Our farmers were saying they had just been offered £30 a bale for a bulk buy from somebody, but they refused because they wanted to look after their regular customers.
The same is happening with straw, we were £5 a 4 foot bale last year, but they are going for as much as £14 a bale at the mart.
If you can bulk buy before prices go up, it mught be worth thinking about, and many rescues with large animals may well be struggling even more due to this.

My suppliers haven't increased prices yet. I really hope they don't run out because I get through quite a lot of hay (a normal sized bale every 3 or 4 days atm) and I can't bulk buy because I can only fit 4 bales in my Nissan Micra. Nobody around here delivers hay for free or cheap

I pay £3.50 for a bale of hay! And it is the LUSHEST hay I have ever seen, but it does go up and down according to how bad the year has been. Most I paid once was £6, but I can't imagine how bad it must be for you Halfpenny with the amount of animals you have there :(

We get ours from a nearby feed shop- warehouse type thing. It's £4.50 a bale and we get about 5 weeks worth from a bale, which is good value considering we spent more than that per week on bagged hay

I got a bale from someone who owns horses for £2.50 the other day, when seperated it filled 5 bin bags.
Was that a good price?

Liz means a round of hay I think?

Like this:
http://www.freefoto.com/images/07/11/07_11_34---Round-Bales-of-Hay_web.jpg

We were paying about £26 last winter for them and although it did last, when we got 2 thirds through they were damp and going rotten so we went back to buying normal bales at £3.50/4 a bale.

We struggled to get a big delivery at the end of Autumn and had it delivered from Nottingham as all the local farmers were keeping their hay for their own animals! :shock:

Liz means a round of hay I think?

Like this:
http://www.freefoto.com/images/07/11/07_11_34---Round-Bales-of-Hay_web.jpg

We were paying about £26 last winter for them and although it did last, when we got 2 thirds through they were damp and going rotten so we went back to buying normal bales at £3.50/4 a bale.

We struggled to get a big delivery at the end of Autumn and had it delivered from Nottingham as all the local farmers were keeping their hay for their own animals! :shock:

Yes, I mean these big bales, but we go through 3-4 of these a week and 2 bales of straw, so as Janek says, we are a little concerned.:shock:

:( I pay a fortune for bags :( wish I knew somewhere to buy bales

We were too, for months until we eventually found a local farm, we got a big stalky bale for £4.00 and the buns love it. Keep looking, you will find one, if not on the net, just have a drive round the country side and you will find one, its so worth it, the hay is so much nicer and lasts ages.

I have asked before but I honestly can't remember - where do you get yours from Louise?

I get mine from Beal Hey in Shaw, they have a £3.50 delivery charge and the bales them selves cost £4.50. They also do megazorb. I think it was £8.50 a bag.

I only got an order just before Christmas, but a neighbour didn't have any oer the snow snap so they bought 3/4 of a bale of me. and I went through loads, just as bedding. Just thankful I got half a bale of Straw in my last order too.

If those of you local to me fail with your local places, I don't mind ordering them and for you to collect them from me. I have to say they are well worth it with having 6 rabbits. I couldn't afford it if I was having to but diddy bags from pets at home. Even the vet commented on it when Frankie went last week:D rather proud of that :)

ive noticed all the greens and savoy cabbages are getting smaller too :shock:

I haven't noticed that because I buy mine from a little greengrocers. When I tell him I want a cabbage for my bunnies he gets me the biggest one in the shop - and it costs the same as a little one too. :lol:

I get mine from Beal Hey in Shaw, they have a £3.50 delivery charge and the bales them selves cost £4.50. They also do megazorb. I think it was £8.50 a bag.

I only got an order just before Christmas, but a neighbour didn't have any oer the snow snap so they bought 3/4 of a bale of me. and I went through loads, just as bedding. Just thankful I got half a bale of Straw in my last order too.

If those of you local to me fail with your local places, I don't mind ordering them and for you to collect them from me. I have to say they are well worth it with having 6 rabbits. I couldn't afford it if I was having to but diddy bags from pets at home. Even the vet commented on it when Frankie went last week:D rather proud of that :)

They sound pretty good. Do they have a physical shop, or is it all online? I drive, so not a lot of point paying a delivery charge if I can get there myself just as easily. :lol:

Back