• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning scent glands and found...

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya, I cleaned Beau's scent glands for the first time today, after he went for bonding and the lady there said it needs doing every so often, and showed me how to do it. I found a little lump with a hole in the middle in each pocket. Is that the scent gland itself, or should I be worried?

That'll be the scent gland (stinky!!!!!) When I do Squidgy's he has a waxy dark brown lump that I can ease out if there's lots of it.
I generally don't do the other boys' as they should have a certain amount of 'gunk' in there (I think!) and they can clean themselves, whereas toofless Mr S tends to get a bit of a build up.

That'll be the scent gland (stinky!!!!!) When I do Squidgy's he has a waxy dark brown lump that I can ease out if there's lots of it.
I generally don't do the other boys' as they should have a certain amount of 'gunk' in there (I think!) and they can clean themselves, whereas toofless Mr S tends to get a bit of a build up.

I got the gunk out, there wasn't much, but I retched!! It stinks! But once they were clean there were these little pink lumps, both with a pin ***** in the middle, kinda like a blackhead. Is that where the stuff actually comes from?

And :shock: at the toothless bit, does that mean they clean it with their teeth?! owwie!! :shock:

But once they were clean there were these little pink lumps, both with a pin ***** in the middle, kinda like a blackhead. Is that where the stuff actually comes from?

All sounds normal and yes, the pin pr1ck (<<<<< Ha, got round the censor :p) bit is where the gunk comes from.

I like the smell...................................
:oops:

:eek: Leo is toothless! I've never done this before!!!!! *Panic*

I must add that Squidgy is a Lord and would never have dreamed of doing this for himself! Seriously, he even manages to stomp in his own caecals, he's such a numpty :D

I must add that Squidgy is a Lord and would never have dreamed of doing this for himself! Seriously, he even manages to stomp in his own caecals, he's such a numpty :D

Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with having no teefs. cheeky monkey!! ;) I'd do it for Squidgy too tho :love::love::love:

Nalas is always worse on one side than the other.. i check them every few months or so. Simba's usually only has a little bit in and fifi's are always very clean.. but then she's a princess you know:roll::lol: I hate the smell.. even after washing my hands i can still smell it eeeewwwwww

Nalas is always worse on one side than the other.. i check them every few months or so. Simba's usually only has a little bit in and fifi's are always very clean.. but then she's a princess you know:roll::lol: I hate the smell.. even after washing my hands i can still smell it eeeewwwwww

I know it's probably psychological....but my dinner tasted of the smell :shock::shock::shock: :mrgreen:

When I do Herbie's, even after washing my hands a number of times my fingers stink for ages afterwards. :roll:

I have never heard of this either:shock: where is the scent glands?? under the chin???????????

They are in two little folds near bunny's bum. I found Herbie's accidently when he went through a mucky bum phase and I was having to clean him up quite regularly.

I've never cleaned them...never felt the need.

QUESTION: might it make bonding easier after the scent glands have been cleaned? :?

I've done Mischa's once - back when he was a bit tubby. They seem to do it themselves now thankfully!

Erm, ok... I have never heard of this either...:oops:
I have a dental bun with no front teeth so should I check him out????
And what about the other buns?
Or is this just something you do if you Vet recognises a problem and advises it?

Is this like sqeezing anal glands on a dog (My sister tried to talk to me about this once.... :shock:)
I say tried cause I just said something like "STOP Waaaaaay to gross for me...":lol:
I cannot imagine my buns'll be thanking me for discussing this on their behalf... But I gotta know.:roll:

Erm, ok... I have never heard of this either...:oops:
I have a dental bun with no front teeth so should I check him out????
And what about the other buns?
Or is this just something you do if you Vet recognises a problem and advises it?

Is this like sqeezing anal glands on a dog (My sister tried to talk to me about this once.... :shock:)
I say tried cause I just said something like "STOP Waaaaaay to gross for me...":lol:
I cannot imagine my buns'll be thanking me for discussing this on their behalf... But I gotta know.:roll:

I never squeeze anything. With Herbie it's just waxy type of substance that builds up in the fold of the skin. I just very gently remove it with my finger (eeeeew!!). It's solid and comes away from the skin very easily. Herbie is a dental bun too, so I make sure I check his bum regularly just in case he needs a helping hand. :)

My cat once had to have his anal glands squeezed by the vet and I had to hold him. The smell was indescribable.....I was absolutely gagging. No way is the bunny stuff as revolting as cats/dogs anal glands.

Back