• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ripped nail - help

Bugsy has caught her nail and it was bleeding. It has now stopped but the nail can twist facing up (it can twist back down again). That one foot is in need of trimming as she started to struggle the other day when we were doing them.

Should we try and trim it down a bit now or leave her alone? It has stopped bleeding, so I'm thinking we should just keep an eye on her.

She is moving around and eating hay

Thanks.

I think I would leave it as is for now. Imagine trying to cut your nail after you have ripped it partly off :shock: ouchies!

Leave it alone.

Mr Fluff did the same over christmas- hubby let him out at my mums while I took the dog out, got back to hubby in a panic and blood everywhere :shock:
(He'd run around the whole house bleeding)

It looked a lot like you described, but didn't seem to bother him too much and the follwing day dropped out.

Probably much less painful than me trying to help it!! :)

Bugsy has caught her nail and it was bleeding. It has now stopped but the nail can twist facing up (it can twist back down again). That one foot is in need of trimming as she started to struggle the other day when we were doing them.

Should we try and trim it down a bit now or leave her alone? It has stopped bleeding, so I'm thinking we should just keep an eye on her.

She is moving around and eating hay

Thanks.

I think if it's twisting up and down there is a good chance it may drop off but it could also get caught in carpet and get ripped off which would be very painful , I would be apt to trim the nail back and just keep an eye on her.

Last edited:

I'm reluctant to trim it because she is a pain to hold and trim her nails, I can obviously do it when I need to but I don't want to hurt her more. She will struggle to get away and I may hurt her more.

I'll get an eye on her, she is using her foot at the moment.

I would be a complete pussy and take her to the vet so the vet can cut the twisting part off and clean the wound properly and stop the bleeding etc if need be

Back