• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I adopt this bun?! More Advice for Newbie in need of guidance please!

fionik

Young Bun
After all your help and advice re: my cage and getting a baby from a children's farm, I have had second thoughts and am now looking at getting a dog crate which I can add a pen to...
so that's that

now for the bunny

I contacted a local animal shelter and they gave me the name of a lady who has some baby rabbits she needs to rehome.

I phoned the lady and she has 6 baby 'lionhead Xs' which were born 'before Christmas' which she cannot keep and I can go and collect one this afternoon...

I'm just not sure whether this is a good idea? Obviously I want to give a good home to a rabbit who needs it, but should I just take it from someone who I know nothing about? The rabbits are outside at the moment and the lady said I can see the parents.

But should I be wary? Might there be unforseen problems? and also how confident can I be that she can sex them reliably etc etc!

thanks so much for any help you can give!

F

Does the bun have to be newly born?? just that if you get one under 12mth they're more likely to have been neutered and vaccinated saving you some money too, you will also be told of the buns health, if there is anything you need to be aware of, such as dental probs etc....:D have you searched the rabbits on the forum, some also come in pairs so will have bonded together as friends again something you won't have to trouble yourself with if you was getting a singleton?? just more food for thought and decisions :lol::lol:

I'd really like a baby - just so that I can 'bring it up' I spose... and so that it is brought up in an environment it knows and feels settled in.

I search the rehoming forums everyday but haven't so far come across the right one in the right area - a couple have of course, but haven't 'grabbed' me!

Maybe I'm restricting myself?

I'm not too bothered about paying for neutering vaccinations etc though :)

Ok I do understand that, but if you go fo a bun under 12mth they're still only young, buns can live for up to 10yr + so they will soon adapt to their new home and surroundings etc, I certainly wouldn't let that issue put you off, I got Oscar at 18mnth old, he doing great and settled well into his new home and loves his wifey :D.
What breed are you looking for, male/female?

A lot of rescues will have "baby" rabbits. They often just don't have the time to put all the rabbits they have on their Website.

Your best option would be to look at the list of Rescues near to you on Rabbit Rehome, and contact them all. Explain what it is you're looking for, and they'll let you know if they can help you.

As for "bringing up" a bunny. I'm afraid all young buns go through the terrible teens. At this point then anything they've learnt or been taught will go completely out of the window and you'll have to start from scratch! :lol:

A 12mth old bun who's spent his whole life in rescue will give you so so much adoration and love, and will still be a "baby" - just without (if they've been spayed) all of the bad and naughty teenage behaviours! ;)

I'd agree with the earlier post that if you get a slightly older rabbit you are more likely to know of any health problems, it could already be neutered etc.

Baby rabbits can be hard work (I personally LOVE having babies) three of my bunnies I've got at between 8 and 11 weeks old and loved having them from so young.

There are risks of not knowing what you are getting, you would probably come across those risks with rabbits from about 90% of the places you could get them from, you'd even have to be really clued out about which breeders to go to to get the healthiest - even then there's a change of some problem that couldn't be predicted.

Make sure you are well prepared. Babies are also quite susceptible to problems with dietary upset so make sure you don't change diet quickly, make sure you get at least 10 days supply of food and know exactly what it has been fed up to now.

Maybe see the baby buns and parents and see what you think? If you are getting just one will it matter if they get the sex right?

I would be careful as she is probably a backstreet breeder (well she will be if she is as got crossbreed rabbits or she just let a mistake happen:roll:) The parent rabbits may not have ever seen a vet, so you would be unlikely to find out whether they have dental issues, snuffle issues. You can take an older rabbit from a rescue and help to get that secure in its new enviroment and at the same time you will be freeing up space for a rescue to reduce their waiting lists of rabbits waiting to come in.
When you say a rabbit hasn't 'grabbed' you what is it you are actually looking for as perhaps a rescue can find one that suits your needs and wants:?.

Have you had a chat with a rescue? This maybe a good idea or if you are set on getting a baby from a breeder then i would ask on here for some reputable breeders before just going out and getting one

What about Kris at Starlights Rabbit Rescue? :) Hetty is fostering the baby bunnies, i dont think theyre even 12 months old at the moment! Kris also rehomes nationally :) :)

Maybe they will see this thread :) xXx

Having had a baby rabbit, I would say don't do it, especailly if its your first bunny. Sophie I got from what turned out to be a back street breeder :( I thought it was just a mistake, as thats what it was advertised as, but when I went to pick Sophie up, she was mating them up again. Dad in with mum :(.

Anyway. Although Sophie has had no health problems and is a very confident bunny, I get the impression she was never handled, or handled badly as she really hates humans, and dispite months inside with me, is no better.

Then there was her spay.:roll::roll: not only was it expensive at £80, but she chewed her stitches out at 11pm on a the day before Christmas eve:roll: I don't drive and couldn't get her to the emergency vets. Apparently she is lucky to be alive as the shock from that could have killed her:roll: that was another £30 she then got an infection in the wound £20 to treat, fight every night to medicate her. Never again!

On top of that she is an escap artist extrodinaire. And loves to chew, with her favourite being Wii and laptop cables :roll:

Personally I would re-iterate what others have said and hold out for another bunny, hopefully a neutered rescue.

P.S. prices don't include her vaccs (£30), or her accomodations, which cost around £150

I don't want to put you off getting this bun, but I do think that the rabbit is the cheap part, and it is a bargain to get them from a rescue, and very heartwarming to think you have helped 2 rabbits

You lot are brilliant!

Thank you so much for your responses.

I've just spoken to the rabbit's owners again and I do think that you might be right that they are 'back street breeders' and just want to get rid :( Whilst I'd love to save the bunny, I know that this doesn't help the overall situation and the rabbit may well have health issues...

They are now saying that they are 3 months old and haven't been handled and live outside... I just don't get a good vibe from them.

I am being swayed by what you all say about not being so determined to get a baby.

I suppose what I want is a small, friendly, male with lots of personality! I am at home most days all day on my own whilst my boyfriend is at work as I have a chronic illness. I'm looking for a rabbit who can be a 'companion' and who I can spoil!

Hope that makes sense :)

I am going to re-double my efforts to find him...!

thanks again

:)

no extra advice. just to say you are approaching this really well and i'm sure you'll be a fantastic bunny mummy!

Im sure there are young rescue rabbits out there plenty.
It is best to wait as these back street breeders are not helping. They could breed from rabbits with bad snuffles/pasturella for example.

The younger years they do have loads of energy even to the point of chewing telephone wires keep a close eye on him or her.Bunny proof.
I got a young bun at 12wks he was crazy.
Funny to watch them jumping.

However it might be nice to take up a neutered bonded pair get them insured.
Get a good rabbit savvy vet.:)

thanks for that happybun :)
I've had a bit of a mad morning and was starting to think I was going about it all wrong!
I'm feeling more optimistic now with everyones help :)

It's no different. They can all be taught - whether or not they do as they are taught though is another matter entirely! but that's all bunnies! ;)

andrea - is it still possible to housetrain older buns?

We got Biscuit at 18 months old and she was pretty easy to housetrain. Be prepared for the odd malteser, but I think that's OK so long as the wee always hits target :oops:

Whereabouts are you?

I agree with the general consensus - a bonded, neutered pair from a rescue :D

My first rabbit was my Daisy's brother (from a breeder :oops: ) who died within 48 hours of arriving - I think from bloat. I just wasn't experienced enough to spot the signs, and it was a heartbreaking experience :cry:

Then I got Daisy, and much as I loved having her as a little baby, the stress of her being spayed and becoming really quite ill afterwards and needing several vet visits for fluids and meds etc made me swear never to take on an unspayed girl again! My Jester is from a rescue, was already neutered and vaccinated, and they kindly did the bonding for me :)

As others have said, taking on bunnies from a rescue doesn't necessarily mean that they will be old - perfectly possible to get a six to 12-month-old pair who'll still be young and crazy ;)

Neutered buns live longer happier lives. If you adopt from a rescue they usually neuter before they adopt out. Not always so you'd have to check but I definately recommend it.

If you can get two smaller bunnies, although house bunnies with lots of attention can be happy on their own, bunnies in love are soooo cute. :D

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be the right decision, you sound like a really caring person. (By the way I bought a dog crate from eBay for £24 :))

Have you had a look at the rabbits in need section on this site, or rabbit rehome? ;)

I agree with the general consensus - a bonded, neutered pair from a rescue :D

My first rabbit was my Daisy's brother (from a breeder :oops: ) who died within 48 hours of arriving - I think from bloat. I just wasn't experienced enough to spot the signs, and it was a heartbreaking experience :cry:

Then I got Daisy, and much as I loved having her as a little baby, the stress of her being spayed and becoming really quite ill afterwards and needing several vet visits for fluids and meds etc made me swear never to take on an unspayed girl again! My Jester is from a rescue, was already neutered and vaccinated, and they kindly did the bonding for me :)

As others have said, taking on bunnies from a rescue doesn't necessarily mean that they will be old - perfectly possible to get a six to 12-month-old pair who'll still be young and crazy ;)

Absolutely! Badger is a mentallist; he sprints round forever. Fat lazy Biscuit just sits and watches!

Back