• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Super destruction team

Rachie

Mama Doe
I'm a bit cross with my pair at the moment (although prolly not as cross as my OH is going to be with me when he gets back tomorrow)

In the last 24 hours they've been really naughty and I'm just after some ideas on why they've suddenly become so destructive?

We live in a 3 storey town house and they have free run of two of the floors, heaps of toys, a huge box of nice hay and they're more interested in eating magazines/power cables/tv remotes. Since we've moved here they've become more aloof and aren't really interested in us unless we have food - is it possible that they just hate this house :roll:

in the bunny law book, it says anthing not protected by a hoomin or other methods is fair game :lol::lol::lol: Some bunnies are just destructive. Do you move /rotate toys, Sometime they get board of the toys that they have... Maybe take half away, then rotate them on a weekly basis.

in the bunny law book, it says anthing not protected by a hoomin or other methods is fair game :lol::lol::lol: Some bunnies are just destructive. Do you move /rotate toys, Sometime they get board of the toys that they have... Maybe take half away, then rotate them on a weekly basis.

The thing is - the house phone and router cables were protected! They even nommed the plastic! :roll:

Have just moved their tunnels around which they seem to be paying lots of interest to - I think its a good excuse to buy them some new toys :D (not that they deserve it - little rats!)

Little furry monsters:lol:

When do you move into the current house? Maybe they are still investigating smells etc:?

I know this won't be a popular opinion on here but I'm going to say it anyhow. I think I'd restrict their space for a while to perhaps just one room that you can super bunny proof. Then perhaps only let them out of there supervised so you can stop any naughty behaviour - then perhaps they'd learn that they can have more space to run around if they don't chew stuff.

Mine have learned not to be destructive cos we pounce on them the instant they chew anything they shouldn't - I think what we try to teach them is what is 'theirs' and what is ours? So if one of them chews something they shouldn't they get shouted at and I usually start giving them a pile of their own toys, as though to say, play with this instead. If the bun continue then he/she gets shut in the dog crate for a while (they don't normally ever get shut anywhere so this is quite harsh really). They soon learn, and it means they get more freedom cos we can trust them.

Btw I hope your OH doesn't go too mad!

We moved here at the beginning of October

As far as I was concerned - everything already is bunny proof. The router and phone had prolly one cm of wire uncovered (where the appliances split) but it was pushed up against the wall. Its been like that for months and they've never been interested in it.

I've thought about locking them in the kitchen/diner over night but I like the idea that they can go onto the first floor if they're cold (they like sleeping on the landing)

I've pre-warned the OH by asking which bun is going into the pot first. He just came back with 'what have they done now' :? :roll:

The trouble is bunnies have not concept of willow ball = good, wire = bad. They are all just things in their environment that are open for investigation. New toys sound a good idea, the trick is to make the good stuff more interesting than the bad ;)

Back