• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Morse Update- Tuesday 26th January 1800hrs

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Morse is still doing well with regards to his weight gain, up from 3.16kg to 3.36kg. He is on Depocillin every 48 hours, Metronidazole every 12 hours, Metacam every 12 or 24 hours depending on need. Mostly only every 24 hours.
He has his ear (the 'deformed' one) flushed with saline twice a day and Canaural applied once a day.
Within himself Morse is so happy :) He eats really well and is totally calm when having his treatment. His heart rate never rises at all !!

On Tuesday he is being reviewed by C. We have not ruled out surgery as because of the deformity in his right ear canal it is unlikely that we will get rid of the infection with just systemic/topical treatment.

However, it would be a major op with no cast iron guarantee of success. Post surgical pain is likely to be significant so Morse, whilst feeling great atm, will feel very poorly for a time :cry: Also, we dont yet know how deep the infection is, not until more Skull radiographs are taken. As Morse does not have a headtilt we ar*hoping* infection is confined to the external ear. If not then surgery wont be curative.

Soooooooooooow, Morse will need loads of vibes on Tuesday. I really want him to get as well as he can but I absolutely dread the thought of him having surgery. Surgery which may not work, will make him feel very poorly at first and which he may not even survive.................. :cry:

Sorry about the lengthy post :oops:

Last edited:
Poor Morse...his prospects if he does not have the surgery?

All fingers crossed here that Morse is given the option on Tuesday of ridding himself long term of this nasty illness.

Aww, sendign the Inspector lots of vibes (especially for Tuesday). I know that you and Christobel will make the right decision.

Poor Morse...his prospects if he does not have the surgery?

All fingers crossed here that Morse is given the option on Tuesday of ridding himself long term of this nasty illness.

Well he'd need to stay on longterm abx and his ear would need cleaning daily.
He is tolerating this well atm and it appears to be controlling the infection. But it's not getting rid of it. The op' should do that *if* the infection is confined to the vertical ear canal. We wont know if that is the case til more radiographs are done and surgery started.

I just dont know what to do as within himself Morse is the most 'well' he has been in the last 4 months. Obviously having such major surgery is best done when he is at his strongest, but it will set him back, of that I am sure. If it meant that he could go on to make a full infection free recovery then the pain and stress for him would be 'worth it'. But there is absolutely no guarantees that the op' will work. Morse would not understand that I had subjected him to so much in an attempt to help him. He'd just know that he felt OK before and now he doesn't :cry:

Sorry to ramble on :oops: I just love Morse so much and the thought of making the wrong decision for him makes me :cry: :cry:

loads of vibes for Morse... i really hope you and your lovely vet can find the best way to get him better xxx

It's great to hear that Morse is doing really well at the moment :D

I don't envy you in your decision Jane, it must be a nightmare trying to weigh up all the pros and cons of whether to go ahead with the op or not. But I'm sure with your vet's great advice and guidance you'll do what's best for him.

Sending loads of vibes for the fabulous Inspector for his vet trip on Tuesday.

It's great to hear that Morse is doing really well at the moment :D

I don't envy you in your decision Jane, it must be a nightmare trying to weigh up all the pros and cons of whether to go ahead with the op or not. But I'm sure with your vet's great advice and guidance you'll do what's best for him.

Sending loads of vibes for the fabulous Inspector for his vet trip on Tuesday.

:wave: Ditto x

This is so not an easy decision for you - what is the success rate for this op? Morse could be susceptible to the infection flaring up from time to time but if there is only a small chance of success and he is tolerating the handling then careful management is the only option.
I really do hope that all the signs suggest a successful end to this. Even continued medication may eventually nail this infection. I managed to shake off the sinus infections that have made my life miserable for years just by nipping it in the bud before it got really bad. So even without surgery he may make a full recovery cos even the experts can't know everything.

This is so not an easy decision for you - what is the success rate for this op? Morse could be susceptible to the infection flaring up from time to time but if there is only a small chance of success and he is tolerating the handling then careful management is the only option.
I really do hope that all the signs suggest a successful end to this. Even continued medication may eventually nail this infection. I managed to shake off the sinus infections that have made my life miserable for years just by nipping it in the bud before it got really bad. So even without surgery he may make a full recovery cos even the experts can't know everything.

I really am hoping that C will think that continuing as we are is the best thing to do. Seeing Morse so 'well within himself' now compared to a few weeks ago makes the thought of putting him through a huge op really :cry:

Sending lots of vibes for Morse xxxxx
I hope that you and Christobel will make the right decision for the Inspector.:)

Morse is seeing C at 1015hrs tomorrow. I really hope that she will think he is doing OK and that surgery is not necessary xx

022-4.jpg

Last edited:
Back