• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A hutch and run question!

I am not sure if i have posted this in the right place if not then sorry :oops:

I am making Charlie a hutch from scratch for outside, he has been an inside bun but gradually overtime i have introduced him to outside. (he was kept inside due to having my garden renovated!) He is now ready for being an outside bun fulltime!

I am not a fan of the shop bought hutches i find they are too small for my liking!

Anyway would this hutch be perfect for my bun?? (and friend when the time comes)

Hutch and run combo on paving slabs:

Hutch: 6ft long.......4ft tall......3ft wide
Run: 7ft long.....4ft tall.......3ft wide

Seperate run on the grass:

9ft long......5ft tall.....5ft wide. This will also have steel mesh under it but about a foot or so under ground. It will also have an enclosed area for him to go into.

I will be adding lots of tunnels/toys/boredom breakers...etc etc

Would this be ok? Or should it be a bit bigger?

That sounds fantastic! He is going to be one lucky bunny! Make sure you post lots of pictures when its done!

I am sure you know already but make sure you dont use chicken wire on it and use galvanised (sp?) wire mesh to make it fox proof.

If you are planning on 4' for the run it might be better going a little higher 5.5/6' (depending how tall you are), it makes it so much easier to be able to walk in and not hit your head :D

Thanks!

I will be using steel mesh which is solid and unbreakable. But we don't have any foxes over here anyway. I am in Guernsey the Channel Islands and we have never had foxes here.

I am not sure whether to get him his girlie first or let him outside and then bond in neuteral territory after? What would be best?

I am not sure whether to get him his girlie first or let him outside and then bond in neuteral territory after? What would be best?

Probably be easiest beforehand, so they could move both into the new accommodation together. Otherwise you'll have to scrub it all down and make it neutral again :)

Has Charlie got his eye on any ladybun in particular?

Probably be easiest beforehand, so they could move both into the new accommodation together. Otherwise you'll have to scrub it all down and make it neutral again :)

Has Charlie got his eye on any ladybun in particular?

Ah yes good point! I was going to introduce them int he bathroom or somewhere alike!

No he hasn't! He is due his big op soon so as soon as he is properly recovered i will start looking.

Would a young girl be best or an older girlie?

Back