• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very runny poos after being neutered

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Is it normal for a rabbit to have very runny poos after being neutered? Noel was neutered today and at first his poos were normal when I collected him and now they are really runny and they smell. Could the anesthetic do this? He has eaten a lot of different food today since his op- carrots, sprouts, treats, pellets, grass, hay.

He's hardly drinking but he is eating.

Thank you.

No, bunny poohs should never be runny.
It sounds as if the bacteria in his lower gut have gone haywire.
If his poohs are liquid he needs to see a rabbit vet now tonight. They can dehydrate very quickly. In serious cases they need a drug called questran to absorb bacterial toxins.
Please phone your vet.

His poos are a bit better. They are small but they aren't runny now. He's still not drinking though - we've had to put the water bottle in his mouth and squirt it into him to make him drink :(

Ooops cross post I replied on your other one about providing a bowl or saucer of cooled boiled water and hay to firm his poos up a bit. :wave:

if his poops were very runny he may already be dehydrated and may need an injection at the vets. did you manage to contact them/take him in?

i agree with bowls of cooled boiled water, i wouldn't squirt water from the bottle into his mouth, it may stress him out. leave plenty of water near by and loads of hay.

i know all rabbits react differently, but should never have runny poops. how is he in himself? he should be acting fairly normal again by now.

could the food he has had have caused some runny poops, gassy things like sprouts etc? is he used to having them?

i would ask the vets advice and make sure he is eating plenty of hay.

vibes for him xx

I suspect your bun may be going into what we call stasis - when the bowel stops working. (It's totally different from our gut.)
He really does need a vet to examine him tonight, & start some treatment.
A few hours can make a very big difference here.

You really need a syringe to get fluids in. You have to put it in from the side & across the mouth or the fluid can go into the lungs.

I suspect your bun may be going into what we call stasis - when the bowel stops working. (It's totally different from our gut.)
He really does need a vet to examine him tonight, & start some treatment.
A few hours can make a very big difference here.

You really need a syringe to get fluids in. You have to put it in from the side & across the mouth or the fluid can go into the lungs.

i agree here, he doesn't sound right and i would also take him to the vets as he may need extra treatment.

eta: also after a neuter, they do say to contact them after a certain amount of time if the bun isn't eating and/or drinking. as it can be very serious. x

:? cross posts...hmm probably best for everone to respond to the same issue but under 'health' section, so 'mummeh' doesn't miss any advice :D

Back