• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Mummy to be - Found Her Bun!

fionik

Young Bun
I've found him!
It seems simply ages since I started my search, but now I think I've found my bunny :)
I can't have him yet because he's only 2 weeks old and still with his mum, but I can go and see him and his siblings on 13th Feb and let him make himself known to me!
He's coming from a children's farm near to us and will be kept until after half term so that the kiddliwinks can see and handle him and then I can go and collect him & bring him home!
So excited!
I have the cage (should've been delivered today, but hopefully tomorrow!), I'll need a litter tray, food bowl, water bottle etc of course and hay and *food*... what do people suggest as the best food for such a young'un?
Can't wait to show everyone pictures of him!
X

How come you decided to get him from a childrens farm??

As for the food, its important you find out what they people at the farm are feeding him. When foster buns go to their new homes, i always make sure they have enough food for 10-14 days. If you want to change his food then, you need to do it gradually over the 2 weeks. Remember 80% of his diet should be a good quality hay :)

Which cage have you ordered for him? What breed is he? :love: xXx

A friend mentioned that the farm often has baby bunnies looking for homes, so I got in touch and had a chat with them and thought this would be a good place to get him from... but I'm open to advice!

Thanks for the tip re: the food. Have found a local company who will deliver hay who I am going to get in touch with.

As for the breed - all I know is that he will be a mini lop X

oh and the cage is The Explorer here: http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rodent-and-Rabbit-Cages.html

obviously will need some adaption to make it more rabbit-like but we thought it would be a good base to work from.

:)

Last edited:
Hi

A 'mini' lop (despite the name) will probably grow to the size of a small slim cat really (obviously without the legs!!)

So have a good look at the cage and if you wouldn't keep a cat in it then think again about keeping a rabbit in it. Rabbits run like mad. hop, jump and stand on their hind legs and twitch their ears in the air.

Thats a lot of space needed!

If you havent totally decided yet about getting said bun, i would consider looking either at your local rescue, or some of the rescues on here will rehome nationally and bunnyruns can be arranged. It would save you alot of money and generally rabbits from rescues come neutered, vaccinated and sometimes microchipped.

I have that cage for our chinchillas, and i really cant see how its going to work for a rabbit. The hole in the top is too small for a start, a rabbit wouldnt fit through :? You couldnt alter that because it would mean cutting the metal and then the plastic tray :? The ladders would be no good, the chinchillas make the ladders fall down as theyre too big for them :lol:

I feel like im being really critical towards you but im not, im just trying to help you :) Id hate for you to spend all that money on the cage and then have to buy something more suitable in the long run :(

Did you look at a 48" dog crate? Or a large puppy pen? They would be much cheaper :D xXx

eeekkk! for that price you could of got a good size rabbit cage and pen to attach to it. As its not been delivered I wonder if you could cancel it ?

Hi, I'm not going to say go to a rescue or rehome. As i think everyone has a right to get their bunny from where they want.

If your happy with the little bunny and the living conditions are good then why not? Also make sure to see his perants. . .

however the cage is totally wrong. I would look through some pics and see what other people use.

www.zooplus.co.uk - Fab site for rabbit cages and really good prices :D

Hopfully you'll find a nice one and totally rethink the cage.

It is entirely up to individuals to get their buns from where they want but as a new bunneh mummeh to be I think it's nice to explore the options available firstly in order to make the right decision.
I bought my 1st bun from a pet shop because I didn't know any different to be totally honest BUT then I joined here and decided I wanted to adopt a rescue bun NEEDING a home, he came neutered, vaccinated a saving of £65 I donated the £45 adoption fee and I feel honoured to have him and in return offer him a forever happy home ....:D Oh and he came from West Midlands!!

Speaking of farms, I asked a farm to build me my hutch 6ft double with an add on run able to separate easily for cleaning.
Ask someone at a farm or garden centre to build one for you. :)

I found a place next to the All in One garden centre in Middleton.
£150.00

Speaking of farms, I asked a farm to build me my hutch 6ft double with an add on run able to separate easily for cleaning.
Ask someone at a farm or garden centre to build one for you. :)

I found a place next to the All in One garden centre in Middleton.
£150.00

i am from middleton :)

i didn't know there was farm near the all in one garden centre though! :lol:

oh no :cry:
I thought we'd chosen a super-duper cage :/ !
none of the 'rabbit cages' I could see on zooplus looked big enough, and the details on the explorer said you could remove the middle layer and replace with your own etc bah. what a wally!
As it hasn't been delivered, I'm hoping I can get a refund.
Would really really truly appreciate any advice on what to get.
I've looked at these:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/95923
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/137393
http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp?cage=31
but I spose I just wanted something huge!
I've looked at dog crates like a lot of people have suggested on here, but the thing I worry about with them is: the fact that they don't have any plastic sides around the bottom and also that they have only one level with a lot of space at the top which seems 'wasted'...

I'm hoping the bunny won't be in the cage for most of the time, but really want it to have a nice home!

Really appreciate any advice!

Plastic sides or not the hay is a law unto itself it will still escape... you will be amazed the places it gets to :lol: some people have built a second floor in the really large dog crates Ive seen piccies on here! Also you can attach a run to them created by NIC grids (do a search for them on here) or use the pens you can buy at places like Pets at Home that way your bunny can have more space at times when he can't have free range! I have indoor buns and they have a huge plastic dog basket from Wilkinsons I sealed the holes at the bottom and daily line the base with megazorb and put a huge pile of hay at either end the buns use it as a toilet while munching their hay! The hay is better contained like that although it does still get dragged about :D

Thanks Boudicca - I think maybe a dog crate is the way to go after all. I like the idea of the NIC cubes as a way of extending the space... thanks for your help :)

I'm now also reconsidering where I get my bunny from - I hadn't realised that so many rehoming places had baby bunnies and were not necessarily restricted by location.

& thank you parkfieldstud too! I've become so overwhelmed by all the different websites, its good to atleast have some reccommendations! I'll have a browse :)

Thanks Boudicca - I think maybe a dog crate is the way to go after all. I like the idea of the NIC cubes as a way of extending the space... thanks for your help :)

I'm now also reconsidering where I get my bunny from - I hadn't realised that so many rehoming places had baby bunnies and were not necessarily restricted by location.

I think it's great you found this site while still planning for your bun - I wish I had. If I'd known about this place I think I'd have done a far better job of raising my 2! :oops:

As for the cage and where you get your bun from - don't panic too much! Just look through lots of other threads before you make up your mind. 'Stories and photos' section is a good place to start.

Als, had you thought of maybe getting 2 buns, perhaps siblings? I think buns tend to be happier when they've got somebun to groom and 'talk' to, and 2 don't take up that much more room than one. The bond my guys have with each other is really adorable, and they still love me lots too! :D

Back