• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you

Would you pick bunnies up for a cuddle

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
start picking bunnies up and holding them for cuddles if they were reluctant to come to you for a nose rub and cuddles...

I think if they're so shy they won't even hop up to you when you're just sitting there offering them a treat, you need to wait. If you force cuddles on a bun who's scared you might end up with problems.

If they didn't like it I wouldn't force it onto them. I'd sit and wait for them to start to want to initiate the attention. Otherwise you'll push them away! Sometimes you'll just get a bun who doesn't want human attention. Sometimes they just need time.

Beau took about 8 months to really like being stroked, but we HAD to wait for him to come to use, in the first month or two I kept going after him trying to give him hugs and snuggles, and I think it made it take even longer!

I think if they're so shy they won't even hop up to you when you're just sitting there offering them a treat, you need to wait. If you force cuddles on a bun who's scared you might end up with problems.

No not shy, Fudge will climb up you to get his treat but then run away when he's had it, It's funny but if he's lying by Ellie and I stroke him he loves it you can hear him purring but as soon as he realises it's me he jumps up and runs away and I have no idea why. I haven't done anything to him

I've had them about five/six months now done the patient sitting with them, treats ( which they take no probs) sitting in their room etc. Just don't seem to be getting anywhere quickly.

Iv'e had a few cuddles but very in between, don't want to make matters worse but I thought if they got used to me holding them and they realised nothing bad was going to happen it might make things easier

Last edited:
I pick up Snowdrop even though she doesnt come for nose rubs or attention because its important to get her used to being handled for when she has her medicine and is at the vets.

And Bungle has to be picked up for his daily brushing so I voted yes.

I do pick Bella and Oscar up even though they're not fond but will tolerate a good masage! :lol: but I personally think buns need to be use to some contact so it's not too stressful when they HAVE to be picked up by the vet, meds, nails etc...in time they will get use to it :D

I voted no :? Lottie and George dont like to be picked up. If they dont want cuddles then thats fine, i dont mind :) xXx

How is he when you don't have a treat? Some rabbits are quite possessive over their food and will run away to eat it so you or another bun doesn't steal it (Scamp does it if he gets something yummy). So him moving away when he gets the treat might not be a reflection on how he feels about interacting with you in general. Try feeding something very small eg break off tiny bite sized pieces of a leaf.. does he stay to keep getting the food even when you stroke him?

No. Bobbi never liked being picked up. (Mind she did sometimes jump up on me when I was lying on the settee) So I always went down to her level. And we had lots of loves and kisses, big licks right up my nostrils! :)
I miss her..:cry:

I didn't realise you'd had them a while, I thought they must be new buns. If he's happily taking treats from you he can't be that scared - most likely it's just an instinct thing. I'd stroke him as much as he'll allow, and pick him up for a quick snuggle once or twice a week. Praise him when he's good, and hopefully he'll calm down enough to enjoy the occassion cuddling session. Are they neutered? That will almost certainly help if not. Pickles was impossible before we had him done.

How is he when you don't have a treat? Some rabbits are quite possessive over their food and will run away to eat it so you or another bun doesn't steal it (Scamp does it if he gets something yummy). So him moving away when he gets the treat might not be a reflection on how he feels about interacting with you in general. Try feeding something very small eg break off tiny bite sized pieces of a leaf.. does he stay to keep getting the food even when you stroke him?

HI Tasmin, when I don't have a treat he doesn't want to know, when I have treats he will climb onto my leg (begging) nd stay there until I have given him the treat but if I go to stroke him without giving him the treat he backs off.. What about when they are eating their main food should I stroke them then ?

I've read that bunnies don't understand the fact that if you give them a treat, you aren't going to take it back off them so they run off with their 'prize' before you change your mind! It's a sign that the really love that treat you gave them too!

I found Amber really responded to me talking daft to her when she was younger:oops: Also running your hands along their back and sides so they get used to being touched if you can:)

If he's happy to climb all over you for a treat he doesn't sound too nervous. I would try stroking him more (yep you could try when feeding) and make a new rule he has to allow you at least one stroke before he gets a treat when he's begging :D

i put no because alvin was my first bunny and i learn a very painful lesson every time i try to inflict my will onto him... i only pick him up to make him eat again and no other reason.. Ste picks him up if we need to pluck his feet and the vets clip the claws for me... we have an understanding... he dont beat me up if i dont try to cuddle :lol::lol::lol:

None of mine like being picked up but Mia in particular hates it. So, in order not to stress her out, I go down to her level (usually on the 1st shelf 'cos I can't quite get down to floow level) and we have lots of nose rubs and she loves a stroke behind her ears. :love:

She trusts me not to try and pick her up and so now doesn't run away when I approach her.

As others have said just take things slowly, if bun is happy to take treats from you then give them more fuss whilst you're giving them treats, and use the treats as rewards.

One of my buns was quite scaredy when we got her, so we started off getting her to sit near us and have treats, then stroked her, then we picked her up and put her straight down again, then gradually picked her up more and for a little longer, our end result was picking her up once a day and checking her eyes/ears/bums. We used treats all through the process and even now (5 yrs later) she always gets a treat whenever we put her back on the floor after picking her up. So now she tolerates it and doesn't get stressed.

Back