• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this new information about Cylap?

Stator

Warren Veteran
I thought noone had admitted that Cylap can cause these types of reactions, which was why I was surprised to see this:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44936.html
now contains:
Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss. The swelling subsides within 2-3 weeks without further treatment. Up to 50% of animals will show transient moderate pyrexia appearing within one day of vaccination and lasting for up to 3 days. Following vaccination animals may exhibit transient forelimb lameness which normally resolves within 48 hours.
So it seems they are definately recognised side-effects and so vets should know about them if they have the latest information. NOAH is the trade industry body for animal health products, so this information must come from the people who make Cylap itself.

Mine are all due in about a month so I may take this to the vet if they don't know about it.

Lapinject all the way for my four! Previous bunnies have suffered a nasty reaction at the injection site following a Cylap jab but fortunately, I've never witnessed a cylap limp.

I asked my sister (vet) about the Cyap limp when my boys got it after their last one. She said while vets are taught about it, they aren't allowed to tell their clients incase Cylap sue them! :shock::evil:

What I don't get is why they're still giving it when it's known to cause these reactions? I'm sticking with Lapinject from now on, even if it's more expensive. My buns' health and happiness comes first!

So it seems they are definately recognised side-effects and so vets should know about them if they have the latest information. NOAH is the trade industry body for animal health products, so this information must come from the people who make Cylap itself.

Mine are all due in about a month so I may take this to the vet if they don't know about it.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely printing this out for my vet who says he can't/won't order in Lapinject :roll:

No way is Daisy having Cylap again after last year, and her booster is due soon.

Yup D&D are due theirs and Ive already agreed with my vet they can have Lapinject this time!! It's bad enough they have to have an injection so Im certainly not going to let them have Cylap knowing it makes them ill!!

In answer to the OP, No it's not new information. It has always been clearly available on the vaccine data information sheet. The one s/e not mentioned is the post vaccination limp.

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.
Sick animals or those suspected to be in the incubation period should not be vaccinated.
To avoid severe adverse reactions contraindications must be strictly adhered to. Rabbits are known to be prone to stress related reactions.
The entire contents of the bottle should be used within three hours of the first extraction.
The vaccine is safe to use in pregnant animals but they should be handled with care.
Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss. The swelling subsides within 2-3 weeks without further treatment. Up to 50% of animals will show transient moderate pyrexia appearing within one day of vaccination and lasting for up to 3 days. Following vaccination animals may exhibit transient forelimb lameness which normally resolves within 48 hours.
No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by case basis.
Do not mix with any other veterinary medicinal product.
Withdrawal period: Zero days.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.

Accidental self-inoculation

To the user

This product contains mineral oil. Accidental injection/self injection may result in severe pain and swelling, particularly if injected into a joint or finger, and in rare cases could result in the loss of the affected finger if prompt medical attention is not given.
If you are accidentally injected with this product, seek prompt medical advice even if only a very small amount is injected and take the package insert with you.
If pain persists for more than 12 hours after medical examination, seek medical advice again.

To the doctor
This product contains mineral oil. Even if small amounts have been injected, accidental injection with this product can cause intense swelling which may, for example, result in ischaemic necrosis and even the loss of a digit. Expert, PROMPT, surgical attention is required and may necessitate early incision and irrigation of the injected area, especially where there is involvement of finger pulp or tendon.

This is the information from the previous data sheet:

"The vaccine is safe to use in pregnant animals but
they should be handled with care. A significant
proportion of animals will show palpable reactions
which consist of swelling, redness and hair loss. The
swelling subsides during 2-3 weeks without further
treatment. Some animals have pyrexia which can last
for up to 2-3 days.

As with all vaccines occasional hypersensitivity
reactions may occur. Immediate, appropriate treatment
should be given."

It is interesting that the old sheet states "A significant proportion of animals will show palpable reactions" and the new sheet gives a lot more detail, saying "Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss."

Also the bit about pyrexia has been added to, again mentioning up to 50% of rabbits affected.

It's all very interesting, had I read that up to 50% of rabbits will be affected, I don't think I would have considered using it, and it was exactly 50% of mine that reacted with the redness, hair loss and scabs.

In answer to the OP, No it's not new information. It has always been clearly available on the vaccine data information sheet. The one s/e not mentioned is the post vaccination limp.

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.
Sick animals or those suspected to be in the incubation period should not be vaccinated.

Accidental self-inoculation

To the user

This product contains mineral oil.
Accidental injection/self injection may result in severe pain and swelling, particularly if injected into a joint or finger, and in rare cases could result in the loss of the affected finger if prompt medical attention is not given.
If you are accidentally injected with this product, seek prompt medical advice even if only a very small amount is injected and take the package insert with you.
If pain persists for more than 12 hours after medical examination, seek medical advice again.

To the doctor
This product contains mineral oil. Even if small amounts have been injected, accidental injection with this product can cause intense swelling which may, for example, result in ischaemic necrosis and even the loss of a digit. Expert, PROMPT, surgical attention is required and may necessitate early incision and irrigation of the injected area, especially where there is involvement of finger pulp or tendon.

:shock::shock::shock::shock: I know this is Rabbit chat, but look at what accidental injection of mineral oil does to humans - & I've seen it quite a few times & it's intensely painful. Bunnies aren't that different in this respect. How did cylap EVER get it's license?

If you ask your vet about side effects, they can tell you about the limp etc, but until very recently (2009 i think....) there wasnt enough data for statistics so its not mandatory to give warnings.

My buns had the cylap jab last year and Phoenix developed the limp (but dumb ass mistake on my part). When i rang my vet (she'd never seen a limp before but knew about it as we had discussed risks etc) she said they report all cases back to the manufacturer as they are/were taking in incidence data.

So i guess they have finally compiled the data and worked out some stats, hence it appearing on the datasheets. but 50%!!!!!!!!! Seriously, that stuff needs to be banned!!! fair enough when there wasnt an alternative, but its lapinject all the way for me now - think Cylap continues because its cheaper (they know it causes side effects so lowered the price i reckon....) and is often part of deals with drug manufacturers when a practice buys a range of drugs from one supplier.

:shock::shock: I knew that Lapinject was better than Cylap but I wasn't aware of all that information - no way any of mine will be having Cylap again!!

When I asked last year at my local vets if they could have Lapinject rather than Cylap she wasn't even aware that there was an alternative :shock: And later when I tried to arrange one Lapinject injection they wouldn't, not even to negotiate the higher cost :?

when I tried to arrange one Lapinject injection they wouldn't, not even to negotiate the higher cost :?

That was my vets reaction too when we discussed it a few months ago :roll:

Not sure what I'm going to do if I can't persuade him as Daisy is due her VHD vacc in about three weeks time. No way she's having Cylap though. I guess I'll just have to ring around all vets in the area to try and find one who'll do Lapinject.

That was my vets reaction too when we discussed it a few months ago :roll:

Not sure what I'm going to do if I can't persuade him as Daisy is due her VHD vacc in about three weeks time. No way she's having Cylap though. I guess I'll just have to ring around all vets in the area to try and find one who'll do Lapinject.

I just don't get what the problem is. I know they have to buy ?5 or is it ?6 to use the same day but surely if the customer is willing to cover the cost of all of them then it's not a problem. I read on the forum ages ago somebody being quoted about £75 to buy all the vaccine but that surely covered the cost of 6 appointments/vets time etc that was just nonsense. I'd love to know the actual cost to see if it was reasonable for most people to be willing to buy the full vial.

Luckily 3 of mine are due on the same day so can fairly easily have Lapinject (as go to FHB together) but Tinks is out of synch with the rest, she's been okay with Cylap but she won't be having it again now I've read all the info :?

I don't get the problem either as we're offering the cash :roll:

I'm going to tackle my vet again on Monday armed with this info and force him into compliance :lol:

Jester isn't due his VHD for another four months or so. I wonder if he could have it early so I could synchronise them?

Back