• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can smell something dead in the rabbit shed

Candiflare

Mama Doe
... and it's not a rabbit. All the rabbits are alive.

I can smell that "dead animal" smell but I can't locate it. I can't see anything... I've looked in every corner, nook and cranny...

What could it be and where are the most likely places to find it?

And will it harm my bunnies?

Uh oh... Wonder how I'm going to get it out? The smell won't harm the bunnies will it? Or any bacteria it's giving off or something?

I know it takes about 10 yrs for a human body to decompose not sure about a rat :lol: Human bacteria and pathogens normally dont last that long away from a host and they would normally seep downwards with the 'body juices' (yuk) into the ground so hopefully your buns will be OK lets hope they dont mind bad smells for a few days!

probably rat -

takes about 3 days for the smell to subside on average.

Usually its dead a day before it smells, then a day when just a bit whiffy, then 2-3 days of really 'whoaa' then 'dies down' (opps!).

None of mine seem to notice the smell except one very nervous bun.

We have had a few this winter . . . they die under the outbuilding next to the runs.

Yikes! I remember one time I thought something had died beneath my shed and I was worried too cause my bunny and 2 guinea pigs are out there. WEll, it turned out to be some dead fish from my neighbours shed next door that he didn't realize was in there. GROSS.

I'm sure the smell will die down soon. I'm sorry.

Yikes! I remember one time I thought something had died beneath my shed and I was worried too cause my bunny and 2 guinea pigs are out there. WEll, it turned out to be some dead fish from my neighbours shed next door that he didn't realize was in there. GROSS.

I'm sure the smell will die down soon. I'm sorry.

That's really interesting about the fish.. because we have had fish dying in our pond for the past 6 months and now there are frogs dying too. I discovered one today... but up close they don't really smell... I don't know what's happening to them.

That's really interesting about the fish.. because we have had fish dying in our pond for the past 6 months and now there are frogs dying too. I discovered one today... but up close they don't really smell... I don't know what's happening to them.

Is it a natural pond or is it lined? if its natural maybe something nasty is seeping into the groundwater?

I had that once, with something dead near the bunny shed. It may have been a wildie as they've built a warren underneath. :( It was gone within a few days though.

Back