• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay - which is best ?

Cheeky

Young Bun
I'm wondering which hay is best.

There seems to be quite a lot of different ones to choose from. At the moment I use Timothy Herbage Hay which has marigold and dandelion in it. My rabbit does eat it but she doesn't eat as much of it as I would like so I'm not sure that she is that keen.

Was wondering what hay everyone else feeds their buns?

My two have timothy or meadow hay from a local farm. A huge bale costs me £5.50 and they love it. I used to feel the excel hays and it would cost me a fortune, plus the buns weren't too keen on it either.

You could post a thread asking if people in your local area know any farm shops/horse feed suppliers in the area that sell bales of hay. ;) The Dust Free Hay company also sells really good quality hay, if you need it delivered - it works out more expensive than the farm bales but still loads cheaper than the Excel. :)

:wave: My buns have meadow hay from my local feed shop (from bales of hay) they sell which I don't have enough room for :roll:...then with that I also add Burns Green Oat Hay bought online and they love that, also I alternate Oat Hay with Timothy Hay..just so they don't get bored with the same one :D

Bramble has the Timothy Herbage Hay with Marigolds and Dandelions in it. He loves it, which is lovely because he didn't really eat the other stuff I used to buy.

I use a mixture of Excel forage, reddi grass and barley straw.
I dont think there is a "best" hay as such, just stick to dust free stuff and find which your bunny will eat the most of.
I spend roughly £9 every three weeks on the above, which I think is reasonable. I also add a light sprinkle of excel dried apple and dried plantain to her hay to keep her interested and get her to forage.

Back