PDA

View Full Version : Hay - which is best ?

Cheeky
21-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm wondering which hay is best.

There seems to be quite a lot of different ones to choose from. At the moment I use Timothy Herbage Hay which has marigold and dandelion in it. My rabbit does eat it but she doesn't eat as much of it as I would like so I'm not sure that she is that keen.

Was wondering what hay everyone else feeds their buns?

KarenM
21-01-2010, 10:57 PM
My two have timothy or meadow hay from a local farm. A huge bale costs me 5.50 and they love it. I used to feel the excel hays and it would cost me a fortune, plus the buns weren't too keen on it either.

You could post a thread asking if people in your local area know any farm shops/horse feed suppliers in the area that sell bales of hay. ;) The Dust Free Hay company also sells really good quality hay, if you need it delivered - it works out more expensive than the farm bales but still loads cheaper than the Excel. :)

lildebs
21-01-2010, 10:57 PM
:wave: My buns have meadow hay from my local feed shop (from bales of hay) they sell which I don't have enough room for :roll:...then with that I also add Burns Green Oat Hay bought online and they love that, also I alternate Oat Hay with Timothy Hay..just so they don't get bored with the same one :D

clarebear
22-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Bramble has the Timothy Herbage Hay with Marigolds and Dandelions in it. He loves it, which is lovely because he didn't really eat the other stuff I used to buy.

lauraocal
22-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I use a mixture of Excel forage, reddi grass and barley straw.
I dont think there is a "best" hay as such, just stick to dust free stuff and find which your bunny will eat the most of.
I spend roughly 9 every three weeks on the above, which I think is reasonable. I also add a light sprinkle of excel dried apple and dried plantain to her hay to keep her interested and get her to forage.