• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im totally heartbroken :( I have to rehome my babies :(.......UPDATE

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ive just had a major falling out with my parents and i have to rehome my bunnies :cry::cry:

I will start at the very begining!

Last September my mum and I opened up a snackbar, things got going really well and i was working from 8 til 5-6 monday to saturday. I didnt mind because it was helping out my mum start her business and it was bringing in some money (not alot but enough)

By the begining of November i realised that i was struggling to cope with the bunnies, Leave the house at 7.30am get home at 5.30/6pm get ready (shower etc.) have dinner sit with Fudge (Bf comes round then) Take Boyfriend home at 9.30/10pm, go out and see millie and Thumper and feed them go to bed 11.30/12pm and start the day again.

I was constantly tired, never had anytime to do anything and it was causing major stress on me and my relationship because i was always so tired!

I was talking to a family member about this one day when she said she wouldnt mind taking millie and Thumper for a little while until my mums business was running smoothly and i was working less hours etc.
She had bunnies before who she loved and looked after well and i trusted her so i thought it was a good idea atleast then they would have more time with her than with me (they love human company:love:)

Anyway i gave her everything she needed (Food, hay bale, straw, blankets, treats, money for veg, litter, vets number etc.) and away they went to stay with her.

I missed them loads and always gave her a text to see how they were. She said they have settled in fine and are enjoying running about her garden and getting inside for snuggles. I was happy knowing they were happy and i had more time for me and Fudge and my boyfriend.

I was going to get them back before xmas but because i was going to Fort William for the new year i asked her if she wouldnt mind having them for another 2 weeks and she said no bother. Well when i got home from Fort William i text asking if i could go get the bunnies and she said she wasnt home but i could go round and get them as they were outside and their stuff was in the open hut.

I went round and got the biggest shock of my life, i burst out crying at what i saw. My poor babies were sitting in the most revolting hutch ever, soaking wet with wee, piles and piles of poo, no hay, no water, they were filthy and very skinny. I went in to get them and they ran away so scared :cry::cry: Picking them up was awful they were so skinny, not like a bag of bones but still skinnier than normal :cry:

I was furious, i got them home set up their indoor cage, filled it with hay, gave them fresh water and some food which they ate like it was the end of the world :cry: and i was straight on the phone to that family member!

She said she did feed them, they were the exact same as when she got them, they got cleaned out once a week and they were happy :shock: I screamed and shouted and cried and told her to burn in hell for what she done:evil::evil::evil:

Ive had them home now for almost 3 weeks and they have gained a little weight. I fed them some porridge to help them gain weight and they dont smell so bad of pee and they are much cleaner than they were! Still not 100% but we are getting there slowly although they still hate getting touched and they always hide :cry:

Anyway tonight my mum and dad wanted to talk to me about them because the house "smells" and they are very unhappy with 3 bunnies in the house :?
I told them they dont smell at all but they dont care anymore they want me to rehome all the bunnies :cry::cry: I tried and tried to win this battle and the best i got was "1 bunny, thats all youre allowed. So choose!" I cant believe them they are awful and im heartbroken. I cant split millie and thumper up they have been together for almost 3 years and they are so in love. And fudge is my baby i couldnt rehome her so im allowed to keep Fudge but have to rehome my beautiful Millie and Thumper, my first 2 bunnies and Fudges mum and dad :cry::cry:

I cant believ this, i already lost beautiful Blackie, dont get to see Skye or Gizmo and now i have to rehome Millie and Thumper! Its not fair, i have a migraine from all of the shouting and crying, im devastated :cry:

I need them to go to good homes where they will be loved loads and get the space they need and the time and devotion for them to gain human trust again :(

I cant believe this is happening......is there anything i can do, they are my babies :cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry things are difficult at home :(

Is there no way your parents will reconsider? It does seem a little harsh that you work so many hours for your mum's business and yet they won't compromise on having the bunnies at home.

Hope they'll see reason.

I'm so sorry! Is there anyone they could stay with until the spring, when they could go back outside where you had them before? Could your boyfriend take them?

Where are Skye and Gizmo?

I'm sorry things are difficult at home :(

Is there no way your parents will reconsider? It does seem a little harsh that you work so many hours for your mum's business and yet they won't compromise on having the bunnies at home.

Hope they'll see reason.

They are not the type of people that i can reason with, once they make up their mind they stick to it!
They have just told me if i dont stop complaining then i may aswel pack my bags also :( In their mind putting a roof over my head and paying me less than minimum wage for 6 days a week is more than what i should be asking for from them :?

There is nothing i can say or do, i hate them so much, why couldnt i have parents who loved animals :cry::cry::cry:

so sorry its all blown up hun. Reasonably, Millie and Thumper can't be rehomed if they are still recovering and you need to make that clear. Is there any way that someone could bond them into a trio so you have less cages/exercise areas etc? Once Millie and Thumper are better the smell would decrease surely? Can you get someone experienced to foster for a while until they gain weight and your parents can calm down?

I agree that you have worked hard to help your mum's business and if your rabbits are your only real social outlet then you should be allowed to keep them, with compromise

They are not the type of people that i can reason with, once they make up their mind they stick to it!
:

Well obviously not. If first they decide you CAN have 3 rabbits then when things get a bit tough they turn round and say get rid. You've got to explain to them that you need your pets and they're VERY important to you.
You worked hard to help your Mam with her business. The least they can do is repay your dedication by giving your bunnies a chance.
I think they're being very thoughtless. You are obviously a very caring soul, who seems to do everything for everyone else with little re-pay.
Can your boyfriend help out?

I'm so sorry! Is there anyone they could stay with until the spring, when they could go back outside where you had them before? Could your boyfriend take them?

Where are Skye and Gizmo?

Skye and Gizmo are my Ex Boyfriends bunnies so i dont see them anymore:(

Bobster How come they allowed you to have 3 in the first place?

I was origanally allowed to have 2 but then when you get sold 2 'females' and one is infact male then you end up with babies:? I begged to keep Fudge and they said aslong as Millie and Thumper go outside!

But now my mum and dad are getting an extension built their area is getting used and the rest of the garden is the dogs and the rabbits will make it look 'Messy' :evil: thats just my parents, they love their dogs but hate cats, rabbits and any other animal :? They say they dont want the rabbits inside or out and i just have to learn to deal with it :evil:

If i had the money i would move out but just now i can just manage a car and the rabbits so cant afford to move out! My boyfriend has no room for the rabbits (lives with parents and 2 younger brother and sister) and has only a front garden so its no use :cry:

I will let them sleep on it and hopefully they change their minds :(

ETA Im allowed to keep them until the end of Feb when the extension on the house starts! :? cant believe im 19 and have no say in what i can and cant have!!!! Its My room and i pay for it!!!!!

Last edited:
Gosh. I'm so mad for you :evil:

I cannot understand their ignorant mentality. I hope you get it sorted. Poor bunnies.

Could your boyfriend have them inside for a bit?

I'd think about moving out. Get a job that pays more than your mums shop.....it's really wrong of her to expect you to work for less than minimum wage.

You used to have multiple bunnies inside, didn't you? Your mum also bought you an outdoor cage. It'd probably be pretty easy to bond all three together (two females and a male?) and have them all as outdoor bunnies. This way there are only buns in one place. Fudge would be happy as she'd have friends, and you could keep all your buns. They say you can keep one bun, but if they live outside, in one hutch/run combo then they'd probably be fine.

If they want it to look neat then you could get a "dog kennel". They're much more attractive than hutches/sheds and runs.

You used to have multiple bunnies inside, didn't you? Your mum also bought you an outdoor cage. It'd probably be pretty easy to bond all three together (two females and a male?) and have them all as outdoor bunnies. This way there are only buns in one place. Fudge would be happy as she'd have friends, and you could keep all your buns. They say you can keep one bun, but if they live outside, in one hutch/run combo then they'd probably be fine.

If they want it to look neat then you could get a "dog kennel". They're much more attractive than hutches/sheds and runs.

I tried bonding Fudge with millie and Thumper before and it turned out very bad! Millie was jealous of Fudge being near her man that she attacked Fudge and fudge got bitten and scratched :(

At one point my mum and dad were nice about the rabbits, when they were babies and they had to be inside. They have changed their tune alot about me and the rabbits over the past few months. If they had the guts in sure i would have been living outside.

They have always had a 'problem' with me because im 'different' than my brother and sister (my little sister feels the same) I was told i was a mistake, they didnt want another child but then had me and my sister :? I have no relationship with my parents at all and 2 weeks ago i had a complete breakdown because of them.

My parents hate me and the rabbits and its not going to change. My older brother and sister are the golden children and me and my sister are the mistakes :(

Me and my bf are planning on moving out once i get a better paying job and he gets into uni but thats not til next year!

I tried again to convince them that this is their home and they belong with me but i just got told if i keep on going on about it that i have to 'get rid' of Fudge aswel! Im keeping quite now because its one thing losing Millie and thumper but Fudge aswel would kill me :cry:

How much would it hurt your parents if you stopped helping at the snack bar or reported them for not paying minimum wage. Not suggesting you do this but it may give you some leverage if you threaten to

I'm sorry to hear all this...my advice would be not to mention it for now...lay low for a couple of days...show them that you're trying to do something about the 'untidyness, the smell, try re-arranging things if poss, get some plug- ins, have you tried the bun deodrising wipes that you can clean them with?...then when they see your trying maybe try and talk to one of them when you are on your own, which ever you feel better with...if all else fails then I think I would make some enquiries about jobs and other accomodation etc, I think whilst you are under 'their' roof you will always be obliged to have to abide by their decision, like it or not!
Could you not joint share a flat with someone, cheaper to run than a house...hope things get sorted and they come around eventually

If they are threatening to kick you out if you don't rehome them I would go to your local council office and explain that you are going to be homeless. You're allowed pets in most council/housing association places. :) Your parents might also change their minds if you say that you will leave. They will maybe see just how important they are to you?

I feel your frustration, must be horrid!

I say start looking for a new job, sounds like you need to break free from your parents and you can't do that whilst they are taking advantage of you.

Sorry to hear about your situation, at 19 I fell out with my parents about about all sorts of things, it is all part of growing up.

"My parents hate me and the rabbits and its not going to change" - This is totally untrue, your parents actually sound very accomodating letting your boyfriend stay at theirs for long periods of time etc.

Think they probably shocked that after 3 months, two bunnies have suddenly appeared in their house again.

The more you shout the more they will resist, let the situation calm down a bit, I think that you are all so wound up that things will be said in the heat of the moment.

Like others have suggested you need to think about outdoor housing, and if you still can't spend much time with them perhaps it would be better to find them a forever home via this forum, sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

Look for a new job... get in touch with the council and say they have given you a breakdown and you can't live with them. Explain how they say they don't want you etc. :(

Have you got anyone you can rent a room off, friends or family?

To me, re homing them is not an option, you should leave as it sounds like you'd be happier.

Horrible situation. :cry:

Back