• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Random thumping... should I be worried?

Mokey

Young Bun
My new babies are spending their first night with me in their new hutch. Should I be worried by occasional thumping? They have done it a couple of times i the last hour / hour and 1/2... I can't see any nasty small furries hanging around.

I feel like I should be checking on them every time they thump! Am I being overprotective? are they probably just getting used to their new living space?

I feel like such a novice!

They are outdoors in a massive hutch, Its bee covbered with a duvet for warmth over the top, a sheet over the front (loosely) to stop drafts and a sheet of plastic over everything to keep out the rain. (still ventilated obviously).

They arent thumpig regulally, every now and then I just hearone thump, can't see anything wrong tho.

also, they came from a rescue centre and they have been kept in an unheated unit so they are used to the cold.

They are probably just scared because of the new home. It sounds like they are covered up pretty good, it's best to keep them in a small well sheltered area at first so that they feel secure.

my bunn stamps her foot quite a bit, if shes in a new place or if shes annoyed with me i always get a thump

thanks, they have a little hideaway sleeping area which they immediatly went into when I put them in. I think I may have figured it out, I think my curious little boy got himself up onto the top of his bed box and didnt like it very much! :roll:

something tels m I'm not going to sleep very well tonight!

They have eaten well so that is agood sign, about 1/2 their nuggets gone + some of their redigrass gone too.

Awww I am a bit like that with thumping, I have often got up and come downstairs to check aswell, I can't relax otherwise so might as well just check, so far it's been fine but, I am worried the time I ignore it something might be wrong. :roll:

I think I'd like the thumping to settle down, if it's only at night.
Although you cannot see danger, it doesn't mean it isn't there as far as the buns think.
My bun thumped warning thumps when a cat dug a hole 100' away. He heard it through good double glazing & floor length curtains.

Thumper has 3 different types of thumping, for different situations.
Predator danger is signified by thumping at 2 - 3 sec intervals, until the danger goes.
The commonest is a random thump to get my attention he wants something. He then hops off & shows me what he wants.
The last type is a pistol shot loud thump followed by progressively quieter thumps at 1 second intervals = "that's nasty don't do it", eg. when I put bleach in the kitchen sink, when he was in there. (Must have nearly blown his nose off!!)

I would suggest that in your situation your buns are just getting used to the night life round their new home, & hopefully it will settle down.
It's incredibly rewarding to get to know their communications, 7 well worth the effort.

Alvin has started thumping at 5am most mornings :roll:

this morning he did it loads of times and i was so worried it was because of Pearl i rushed into the room, it was nothing :roll:

Alvin has started thumping at 5am most mornings :roll:

this morning he did it loads of times and i was so worried it was because of Pearl i rushed into the room, it was nothing :roll:

As an outside chance, is there a pot hole after the snow, or even a prominent drain cover in the road nearby? I'm thinking of a delivery lorry or bus - HGV vibrating the house.
Thumps detected the last earthquake from Lincolnshire. He shot under my bed & thumped for 10 -11 secs. I thought he'd flipped until my parents told me about the quake the next day. He's so used to the lorries he ignores them now.

Back