• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pred Forte?

crackerz

Alpha Buck
Has anyone ever been prescribed 'Pred Forte' eye drops for their bunny? I took Humphrey to the vets this afternoon as his eyes had flared up again and he was not happy at all this morning. He had scratched all round his eyes red raw.

He has suffered with eye problems for the past year on and off. He has had Maxitrol before and it seems to clear it up but only temporary. The vet we saw today was not our regular one so had to explain how he cannot have hay etc and we have learnt not to let him on the grass after we cut it.

I asked to double check his teeth but she said that he has a perfect set from what she can see without a GA. He eats like a horse and has been busy in the garden stripping bark off trees.

Our normal vet had suggested last time we saw him that it would probably have to be tear duct flushing this time but this other vet wants to try this 'Pred Forte' for a week.

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of these drops? I can't seem to find anything when I search.

Thanks

It's prednisolone, a corticosteroid

I assume your Vet does not think there is any active infection in the eye :?

Is there discharge from the eyes ?

Has he been treated for mites ?

It's prednisolone, a corticosteroid

I assume your Vet does not think there is any active infection in the eye :?

Is there discharge from the eyes ?

Has he been treated for mites ?

Thanks for the reply. There is a discharge which I thought meant there was somekind of infection. She must have noticed it as she told me to make sure that I wiped it away everyday:roll:

All the buns had their mite/flea treatment stuff before the Christmas period.

He has always had eye problems that go and come back. When we first got him he had an eye problem that the vet put down to the stress of being rehomed. When it didn't go away he had a strong course of antibiotics which seemed to do the trick. But after a while it flares up again.

His last lot of maxitrol was in October and his eyes cleared up. But now they have flared up again. So if this vet didn't think there is an infection, what are the drops for? Or am I just being daft?

Thanks for the reply. There is a discharge which I thought meant there was somekind of infection. She must have noticed it as she told me to make sure that I wiped it away everyday:roll:

All the buns had their mite/flea treatment stuff before the Christmas period.

He has always had eye problems that go and come back. When we first got him he had an eye problem that the vet put down to the stress of being rehomed. When it didn't go away he had a strong course of antibiotics which seemed to do the trick. But after a while it flares up again.

His last lot of maxitrol was in October and his eyes cleared up. But now they have flared up again. So if this vet didn't think there is an infection, what are the drops for? Or am I just being daft?

Well being a steroid prednisolone will act as an anti-inflammatory BUT the use of steroids in Rabbits is not something to be rushed into and certainly not if there is active bacterial infection.
Have any diagnostics been done -skull radiographs ? Nasolacrimal duct flush ? Swab for MC+S testing ?

None of those things. Our normal vet had mentioned the duct flush. Do you reckon I should go back tomorrow? Will the steroids make his eyes worse?

None of those things. Our normal vet had mentioned the duct flush. Do you reckon I should go back tomorrow? Will the steroids make his eyes worse?

Well I am not a Vet/Medic but I'd be very reluctant to use just a steroid if there was any risk of active infection :?

I would call the Vet again in the morning and just clarify things. They are the qualified bods, not me :)

Well I am not a Vet/Medic but I'd be very reluctant to use just a steroid if there was any risk of active infection :?

I would call the Vet again in the morning and just clarify things. They are the qualified bods, not me :)

Thanks, I will call them in the morning.

I know you are not qualified but you have more experience than some vets:D

Back