• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies

l88utd

New Kit
Hi everyone,
I posted on here before and got some great advice about whether I should bring my pregnant girlie rabbit inside and about what to do with the male (who has now been neutered).
Well, we are now proud 'grandparents' to approx seven bunnies, who are now 6 days old. They seem to be thriving.

I wondered if anyone knows when you can start handling them? By that I don't mean picking them up all the time just for the sake of it, but more to be able to see them properly (double check they are all well and how many there actually are!) At the moment we are removing mum from the hutch while we use a small stick to move away the bed to have a look. But you are obviously limited with what you can see with a big mound of wriggling babies.
At what point will it be okay to move them with our hands without the mummy objecting and possibly harming them in response?

Thanks for any more help you can give ; - )

Last edited:
I am sure it would be alright to handle them a bit. I am no expert but the gal I got Hunny from told me the reason why her rabbits enjoy being held and don't mind it is because she gets them used to it very early. I would not be able to resist holding them and speaking to them. Congratulations is in order I guess! Lots of cute baby bunnies. I hope to see a picture soon.

i think you can handle them quite early, just stroke mum first before you touch the babies, so they smell of her. :wave:

You could handle them a bit but it's not really necessay at this stage. As long as you've checked they are ok and mum is feeding them then they will be fine.

you can handle them now, but make sure mum seems ok with it, some females will 'grunt' at you if they dont like you near the nest. if she doesnt bother you when you are looking in the nest, stroke her or her bedding so your hands will smell like her before you pick any up :)

Hi everyone,
I posted on here before and got some great advice about whether I should bring my pregnant girlie rabbit inside and about what to do with the male (who has now been neutered).
Well, we are now proud 'grandparents' to approx seven bunnies, who are now 6 days old. They seem to be thriving.

I wondered if anyone knows when you can start handling them? By that I don't mean picking them up all the time just for the sake of it, but more to be able to see them properly (double check they are all well and how many there actually are!) At the moment we are removing mum from the hutch while we use a small stick to move away the bed to have a look. But you are obviously limited with what you can see with a big mound of wriggling babies.
At what point will it be okay to move them with our hands without the mummy objecting and possibly harming them in response?

Thanks for any more help you can give ; - )

Yay!! I was wondering how they were!! You can handle them when mum is ready. If she's happy then there's no reason not to! (To check how they are.) When they're out of the nest you should give them cuddles every day so you can tame them.

Thank you all once again.

They are just adorable and it's all I can do not to give them big cuddles ; - )

Bea (mummy) is still grunting a bit - we've taken this as a good sign that she's being defensive of them as she is normally completely placid - so we'll take her lead from her. When she settles down with us or when they start to leave the nest we will try but don't want to rock the boat.

Fingers crossed!
x

Thank you all once again.

They are just adorable and it's all I can do not to give them big cuddles ; - )

Bea (mummy) is still grunting a bit - we've taken this as a good sign that she's being defensive of them as she is normally completely placid - so we'll take her lead from her. When she settles down with us or when they start to leave the nest we will try but don't want to rock the boat.

Fingers crossed!
x

That sounds like a really understanding approach, if only everyone was as considerate for their pets. Hope they continue to thrive and do well. x

Back