• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I *think* Joey has EC

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
He's started having a wet bum again - had to wash him last night. He was moving kind of snakily last couple of days (not from side to side - more low to ground - like he was cautious), but THAT was definitely better this morning. He's seen a vet - on the usual - baytril, metacam, panacur. He's lost weight even though appetite good.

Previously he's suffered from incontinence, falling over - both were treated & better within a week.

He has been tested for EC previously - came back clear, but that was over a year ago.

He's still in the group - but I may separate him & somebun else if he starts getting picked on. He approached Flint this morning & Flint chased him away - they are usually pretty close:cry:

Is there something else I can use? I just feel these days I panacur, metacam & baytril until bun dies.:cry: Joey's 5 years old - an ex P@H bun.

I wouldn't automatically presume it's EC.

Has he had blood tests to check that his kidneys and liver are working okay?

A wet bottom is a main symptom of Urinary tract infections and/or bladder sludge/stones.

Some rabbits get wobbly on their back legs with bladder or kidney problems

Sending vibes for Joey xx

It's just that this is like Cracker went just before he died & vet thought that was EC.

He's got blood tests tomorrow - I've got afternoon off

I wouldn't automatically presume it's EC.

Has he had blood tests to check that his kidneys and liver are working okay?

A wet bottom is a main symptom of Urinary tract infections and/or bladder sludge/stones.

Some rabbits get wobbly on their back legs with bladder or kidney problems

Sending vibes for Joey xx

So what would treatment be? Baytril & metacrap?

Yes, for UTI

Treating stones/sludge can be tricky and can require surgical intervention.

I don't *think* you can treat kidney failure (as opposed to infection), just treat the symptoms to buy a little extra time

:lol: @ metacrap

Baytril definately but if he has Kidney function impairment your Vet may prefer not to prescribe a NSAID (Metacrap :lol:) but an opiate for analgesic cover.

Bladder sludge may mean a bladder flush under GA is needed

Bladder stones= cystotomy to remove them.

Xrays and bloods would give some idea as to what is going on if the problem is in the Urology Department as opposed to the Neurological one

xx

That's brilliant cheers guys.

Been a bit disheartened at the vets recently cos I seem to walk out with same treatment every time & no real answers, plus I can't seem to get a bun to live beyond 6, & no one can tell me what's going wrong.:cry:

Got no *actuall* advice, but if they are the same symptoms that Cracker showwed, have you thought about getting a second opinion from a vet at a different practice? Fresh eyes might see something else, especially if you're not happy with what they're doing.
Hope he feels better soon.

Back