• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any reviews on these hutches, or recommendations?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I've decided to buy Rosie a new hutch :D I bought the guinea pigs a new hutch recently as I bought them more toys and didn't have space in their 4ft, so bought a 5.3ft hutch for them. I decided Rosie bun needed treating too.

I like the look of these...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6FT-Dou...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item4ced0c1467

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6ft-Sin...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item35a654868d

Rosie is severly arthritic, so I like the single hutch to cause her less troubles. But the double hutch can be locked into one section which she can use, and then it can house 2 future bunnies (nethies or lionheads). So that works best in the longer run. Although would 2 small buns live OK in the single 6ft one?

Also, the single level one would be easier to fit in the shed, what with the pigs hutch too. But I could work it out if I make dad get rid of some junk :lol:

I wondered if aanyone has any reviews on either of those hutches. Waterproofness isn't an issue as it will be in a shed, also, foxes aren't an issue as we don't have them here.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated though! :)

You would be much better off getting a shed for your rabbit. A 6ft hutch would need to have a permanently attached large run, giving 24 hour access, to be large enough. As the hutch will be in a shed, with other animals, does your rabbit get to freerange the shed all the time also?

If you were to get the double to split into 2 then whoever was in the top hutch wouldn't get permanent access to a run so would not be big enough.

The 6ft single looks good, and would be suitable length wise. It's only 20" deep though and I'm not really convinced about the height. :?

I say this a lot, but you can get a 6x2x2 hutch from your local RSPCA centre, although I'd go for a shed. Does Rosie have a friend?

You would be much better off getting a shed for your rabbit. A 6ft hutch would need to have a permanently attached large run, giving 24 hour access, to be large enough. As the hutch will be in a shed, with other animals, does your rabbit get to freerange the shed all the time also?

If you were to get the double to split into 2 then whoever was in the top hutch wouldn't get permanent access to a run so would not be big enough.

A permanent run is not an option where we live. Too dangerous :( She currently had a 5ft hutch, but goes in a run daily in the garden. We also don't have space for a shed. They currently have a concrete outbuilding.

I wasn't planning on splitting the double hutch. She would live in the top, going in the garden everyday, then future bunnies could share the double hutch (after Rosie).

The 6ft single looks good, and would be suitable length wise. It's only 20" deep though and I'm not really convinced about the height. :?

Thanks! I'm not too sure about the height either, it says 2ft I think. The double hutch is 2ft in each section.

I say this a lot, but you can get a 6x2x2 hutch from your local RSPCA centre, although I'd go for a shed. Does Rosie have a friend?

We don't have the RSPCA here, so sadly I can't get that.

No Rosie doesn't have a friend, she has never gotten on with other rabbits so we give her lots of attention. She does love guinea pigs, but has hated males and females we have tried to introduce in the past. :( Otherwise I would love for her to have a friend.

I just got the 2 storey hutch from this seller. We built it last night and it seems very solid. The bolts are great (even small child proof which was a problem with our last hutch.) I think i need to put in some scatter boards, but i'm happy with it so far.:D
Bunnies move into it this afternoon so will have to see what they make of it!

I just got the 2 storey hutch from this seller. We built it last night and it seems very solid. The bolts are great (even small child proof which was a problem with our last hutch.) I think i need to put in some scatter boards, but i'm happy with it so far.:D
Bunnies move into it this afternoon so will have to see what they make of it!

That's really good to hear as I went ahead and bought it, it was dispatched yesterday! I hope it doesn't take long to get to me!

Charlie and Lola - how are your bunes enjoying it? Does it seem solid? Any photos, because if so I would love to see them.

I asked the seller and she said it would be here tomorrow, however being so far north I'm not getting my hopes up! :cry: :lol:

Wow it actually came today! Now I'm quite disappointed I never cleaned the shed out to put it in. That will be the weekends tasks when I am off work.

I built it today :) one of the panels was wrong, so it has one solid side, but I don't mind. We still need to line it with lino and rearrange the shed. The photos make it look really small.

4337801597_de3c513b49_b.jpg

4338547200_ecbc46c624_b.jpg

Sadly its unlikely Rosie will be living in it. I have bought a cover for it, and she will not be going into it until the cover is going on, however she is rapidly going downhill with her arthritis and it is quite likely she will be PTS on Tuesday unless the vet finds some miracle cure between now and then. :cry:

So sorry to hear that about Rosie. It sounds as though she has had a lovely life with lots of love and attention though.

Ah, i was reading this for some ideas on housing and was so saddened to read that rosie is declining. Keeping my fingers crossed that the vet can prescribe something to ease her pain but maybe keep her with you for longer.

Back