• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readi grass

Lisa & Amos

Warren Scout
Thought I was picking up hay and ended up with a bag of this :oops:
Can I just feed it like hay or does it need to be introduced slowly? My 2 are used to varied veg without any issues. How does it differ to hay or is it just marketing?

i feed dried grass to my three but alongside hay.. they have more hay than the dried grass, think its maybe a little rich to have loads of it. Id definitly introduce it slowly but im sure they will love it! :D

It's freeze dried so dried faster and keeps more of the the nutrition in. My bunnies absolutely love it. I've read a lot of people feel their bunnies put weight on when getting quite a bit of it.

Not sure about introducing slowly, my instinct on that would be if your buns are used to grass it would be okay, otherwise introduce fairly cautiously. Best to use it to suppliment hay but is okay for them to have frequently. It says it has the right balance of calcium and phosphorus as well. Oh and bunnies tend to need to drink a lot if they have a lot of readigrass as it being dried food makes them thirty.

Fab thanks, felt the need to sanity check before I fed them it. Will give them a handful tonight with hay and see how they go.

Thought I was picking up hay and ended up with a bag of this :oops:
Can I just feed it like hay or does it need to be introduced slowly? My 2 are used to varied veg without any issues. How does it differ to hay or is it just marketing?

i mix it in with the food and feed seperate too i find it actually better than hay as it never brings mites into the rabbitry like hay

I give a small handful as a treat at breakfast.

Doesn't it have high calcium? I do remember there was some reason why it can't be fed instead of hay but my memory's bad :roll: :lol:

I give a small handful as a treat at breakfast.

Doesn't it have high calcium? I do remember there was some reason why it can't be fed instead of hay but my memory's bad :roll: :lol:

It's very high in both calcium and protein. A bunny shouldn't have too much of either in their diet..
.. I think.. I got into a discussion with one of my college lecturers about it, she thought it was fascinating that i fed it :?

It's very high in both calcium and protein. A bunny shouldn't have too much of either in their diet..
.. I think.. I got into a discussion with one of my college lecturers about it, she thought it was fascinating that i fed it :?

I've read in loads of places that it's high in calcium but on the bag it actually says it has the right amounts of calcium and phosphorus (being derived from grass, ie their natural diet) and Frances Harcourt-Brown told me that my bun who has a chronic problem with bladder sludge can have readigrass as it's not high in calcium, anything that is 1% or less is okay, apparently, not sure what percentage readigrass is though.

I've read in loads of places that it's high in calcium but on the bag it actually says it has the right amounts of calcium and phosphorus (being derived from grass, ie their natural diet) and Frances Harcourt-Brown told me that my bun who has a chronic problem with bladder sludge can have readigrass as it's not high in calcium, anything that is 1% or less is okay, apparently, not sure what percentage readigrass is though.

That is interesting! I'd read on here and taken it as fact that it was high in calcium. This is the reason why debate and discussion is so good and why searching for previous threads rather than asking a question doesn't always have the same result! Mine love readigrass but I've only ever fed bits of it!!

I imagine it would have more weight for weight than fresh grass/plants because the moisture is removed. Fresh grass is something like 80-90% water so if your looking at % it makes things look a lot lower. I don't know if that's the case here but it can makes things confusing when you try to compare stuff.

I give Feegal and Sally a big handful at breakfast. Feegal is weighed every day as he is a dental bun, I weigh Sally at the same time and neither of them have put any weight on:) and no bladder sludge etc.

I have noticed that wild buns stopped eating as much grass mid autumn, the same point that Feegal and Sally were not as keen:? Maybe it has less nutrients or sugars when it gets lower light and temps:?:

It is just dried grass after all, so volume for volume (not weight,) I don't see where it would get extra calcium from. Unless it is a different variety of grass.

I bought a bag a while ago for my two, but they haven't had any for a few weeks as I was sure I'd read on here it wasn't good for them because of the calcium :? :lol:

They love it so I may start giving them some again.

I bought a bag a while ago for my two, but they haven't had any for a few weeks as I was sure I'd read on here it wasn't good for them because of the calcium :? :lol:

They love it so I may start giving them some again.

From what I can gather from conflicting advice on here, the best thing is to not worry about calcium unless the bun in question has bladder sludge.

How bizarre - I was gonna ask if readigrass is any good when I stumbled upon this thread! After reading what y'all had to say, I bought a bag of Freidnship Estates 'Friendly' ReadiGrass today - haven't given any to the buns yet but it's a lovely colour & smells delicious!

:wave:

Back