• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use to feed your buns their veg?

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to replace Phillip's 5" food bowl as it only just holds his veg, & as I'll be feeding 2 buns veg in the near future I was wondering what else I could use instead :D

How about a washing up bowl :lol::lol: Just joking, I use a side plate for the veg :wave:

I use one of those plant saucer type things. Designed for a plant pot to sit on. It's nice and shallow but big and they can't move it. They still drag stuff out of it though.

I just chuck it on the clean hay. If I give my two anything too light and circular, Inky throws it at my face (he gave me a fantastic black eye with a palstic food bowl when he was small)!

I use a 5" bowl for my 2 dwarf lops... am i underfeeding them? :oops: :(

My giants have a 9" dog bowl piled high with veg :D

i use... the hutch floor? :lol::lol:

i put down 3 of everything, :lol:

usualy put it down in front of them, whos whos etc, doesnt always work out as they tend to think someone elses tastes better :lol: :love:

Lots of great ideas.. thanks everyone :)
I might try the sideplate or a larger dog bowl. In fact I've got a spare ceramic water bowl for my cats (that I'd forgotten about :roll: :oops: ) I could use that instead as it's bigger.

Regarding how much veg he eats..
I built Phillip's veg intake up slowly from a couple of sprouts & a carrot to a 5" bowl brimmed.. but I don't chop up the food really small cos he likes to remove pieces & munch on them - otherwise it would probably fit easily in the bowl :lol:

He gets very few pellets though, goes through at least twice his body size in hay & still needs to gradually put on a bit of weight :love:
I also keep an eye on his poops but he's not had any problems so far on the diet he's on now, it seems to suit him :)

I love how he's got such a big appetite though, he's a darling :love:

I use a 5" bowl for my 2 dwarf lops... am i underfeeding them? :oops: :(

I dunno hon, not sure exactly how much veg buns are supposed to eat, percentages are great but it's hard to equate to real life :roll:

I'm sure someone will come along & confirm the 'correct' amount but you know your buns & whether they're eating enough hay etc.
I couldn't imagine you underfeeding any of your buns Becky & you have far more experience than me but I think you've got to trust your instincts too :p

That's the way I look @ it anyway, if my bun doesn't eat much hay one day then I give him less veg & it works for him as he will munch on more hay.. but he's a good eater anyway :)

I was using the light metal ones but my frenchies just throw them over. I was thinking of putting a large pebble/stone in the bottom so they cant knock it over???

Becky :D

I use a large metal dog bowl too :D

Louie always puts his little paws in his bowl when he eats :love:

Back