• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with convincing my OH to have bunnies indoors

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Well.. the buns have been indoors since Ruby's spay and we've all been having a whale of a time, my OH included. I was hoping that I could just keep them in after they've been in for a while (worst case scenario is that I'll take them back out but in a heated shed...)

My OH got back from work just now and pointed at them and said "when are they going to go back out?" and I said "Well I was hoping that they could stay in now?"

And the answer was "No WAY." I show him that it's actually cleaner to have them indoors - no hay/straw everywhere, just contained in a hay rack and a litter tray, they are fully litter trained, they are always lying out and looking cute and they've got the full run of the spare room and the living room when we're in it... they look genuinely happier and they're binkying around and not getting in anyone's way.

My OH can't deny that any of these things are the case, but his BIG thing is that he can "smell" them. Now... I can't smell them.... In the past when I've dog sat dogs, my OH says he can "smell" the dog when he gets back even if it's not there anymore. He seems to have a really sensitive nose for animal smell, even though we have wooden floors covered with rugs all over the house.

My friend who has 6 labradors says she just burns scented candles all the time to get rid of the smells, and my OH is a big incense person and quite likes the smell of it, so.... I don't see why he can't just do that.

What do you think about this whole debate? Do those of you with house rabbits smell them all the time? Do you think it's offputting to guests?

I can never smell any of my house bunnies. I change their litter trays every other day and they never smell.

Well I work with horses so I normally smell worse than the rabbits when I get home! I have one of those air wick sir fresherners near the buns that goes off automatically every now and then and they have never seamed bothered by it and it just hides the smell from sensitive noses!

I wouldn't push it to be honest though, if he isn't keen and your feeling the need to persuade him I don't think I would, I don't think it will work and ultimately will become a bone of contention between you, that in turn won't be good for the bunsters either. I can't smell Gizmo as he is cleaned out everyday as is my outdoor girlie. I wouldn't advise airfreshners or scented candles unless there is plenty of ventilation either, it's really not good for animals, dogs or cats or rabbits. They have a much more sensitive sense of smell. The only thing I would consider with animals in the house would be a couple of drops of lavander oil (essential oil not artificial) on a radiator that won't hurt them or their sense of smell. I think he is saying that as a last attempt to get them out and I wouldn't push him. Some of those plug in airfreshners are revolting and I really can't imagine how people can breathe with them in the house, my OH goes to people's houses all the time and he said one woman had a plug in every room - he had a splitting headache and felt sick by the end of the day, god knows how her poor dog must feel, I always think when someone uses loads of airfreshner that they are trying to cover something up aswell so instead of it making me think it's clean I actually think the opposite.:lol:

My hubby has a VERY sensitive nose when it comes to animal smells and he can't smell the bunnies at all, he used to comlplain about our old hamster but can't smell 3 bunnies :?we use carefresh in the litter tray and that helps and he burns Yankee candles sometimes.. (expensive but well worth it!)

I dont think bunnies smell, I have my pair indoors and you can smell the hay more than anything but some people do have more sensitive noses.

My other half wasnt keen on them being indoors initially but agreed if he could decorate the conservatory however he wanted in exchange. I think he likes having them inside now but wont admit to it :)

Is there anything he wants you can barter with him? Having foster bunnies cost me towards a new computer and was well worth it.

i'd just say they are staying in, that's that. :lol:

:lol:That's me too! I am not flexible when it comes to my fur kids, in fact, I can get quite erm, not nice:oops:

OTOH, I also have a very sensitive sense of smell and can appreciate that your OH may be bothered, but what smell is he bothered with? The actual smell of the rabbits, they hay, the litterbox? I can sometimes smell the litterbox but I find that using a pelleted cat litter or Yesterday's News cuts the smell immensely. My rabbits smell really lovely, almost like they have on a light perfume mixed with hay and I really love the smell of fresh hay.
I find that using an oil burner works best to freshen the house(the dogs do smell when wet) and I don't get a headache from it like other fresheners.
If the litterbox bothers him try using a different types of litter.
Seriously, if he is enjoying having them in too, ask him to give them a chance and try a few different options with litter, essential oils, etc. I don't know about incense but if it's safe for pets, buy him a collection:D

i dunno.. ive never had to do the persuding thing.. there was never an option my buns would live outside... if anything Ste would like a huge outdoor avairy for the chippies rather than putting the buns out... i think hes the same as me... why have a family pet and then banish it outside...

just keep nagging until he gives in :D

I'm not sure what the smell is, I think he smells a general "animal" smell. The only smell I get from it is when I get up close and Ralph has just done a wee in the litterbox or something and it can be quite acrid smelling. I keep thinking surely we can come to an agreement that the litter tray is emptied as frequently as possible?

I can't remember exactly what they are called, but you can get a bag of zeolite(?) and that will absorb odors really well. I used to use one by my cat's box and was amazed at the difference. If I remember, I will post what it is.

This is how I ended up with house rabbits. They came in after neutering and spaying and never went back out. Do you think he is looking for a reason as to why they cannot stay in and said it was the smell? I can't smell anything from my rabbits.

I can never smell my buns & have asked other people & they say they can just smell the hay & I like that smell.I do light scented candles if people visit[just in case they smell]& every 3 days I spray carpet foam deodoriser on the rugs.

I've always had outdoor buns, but recently took in Oscar who needed some extra tlc, and he's living in the house.

My o/h agreed for him to come, but isn't 100% happy about a rabbit living in the house, he hasn't moaned about any smells (and he is quite sensitive to smell)

To be fair, I think all indoor animals smell to some extent. I can always smell hay in this house, and sometimes the cages themselves, and I keep them v clean!

Back