• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panacur

batmobile

Mama Doe
I have a 9 day dose to give to 6 rabbits (we all know what I am going to spend my life doing now! lol) The vet said to syringe it into the side of their mouths but I am wondering if anyone here spreads it on food instead as some of mine are so difficult to catch, it will take me all day.
I have syringed the 'poorly' one and will do hers manually, as well as any that can be 'tricked' but my semi wildies etc are a different story.
Thanks!

I would first query the 9 days. This is only for worming. If you are trying to 'cure' or prevent EC then you need 21 or 28 days (there still seems to be some disagreement). Nine days just doesn;t shift EC. .

Secondly it can be given on food IF you are absolutely sure they have eaten it all.

I do empathise - I have just finished doing all my 17 rabbits with 28 days! (we used Lapizole as they love it - but it works out expensive).

Mine are happy to eat it hidden in a herb leaf, sage, or lemon balm anything tasty to disguise it - or I have squirted it in to the "scoop" of a bit of celery.

Why are they having 9 days may I ask, I thought it was 28 days or nothing now?

mine will eat it squeezed into a barley ring or sometimes in a spring green leaf...you need to make sure you have extra to make sure that someones leaf doesn't get nicked.

I too would query the 9 days. 28 days is the recomended course now to eradicate EC?

There is no evidence suggesting EC in any rabbit - it is their worming course which I thought was for 9 days, 3-4 times a year? One rabbit has been treated for Coccidia with her partner (but only one was showing signs) and now another rabbit has symptoms of the same thing (in a different group) which the vet is going to treat tomorrow but I wanted to worm them all as they are all relatively new so best to worm them all at the same time to eradicate any other issues. Does that make sense?

I believe it is recommended to Panacur new rabbits or all of your rabbits when you introduce a new one or all of your rabbits if they have been exposed to new rabbits ie boarding but it is for 28 days not 9 as it used to be. You do this once and not again unless you introduce another rabbit/go boarding or any show signs of active EC.

If some are being treated for Coccidia I would check that it is ok to Panacur at the same time. I assume the Vet has explained about the hygiene precautions requirements with Coccidia?

I usually put it on a piece of cabbage leaf. Has Digger had head tilt it was the easiest way to get him to take it.

personally I woud still go for a one off 28 day course. it is very rare for rabbits to get actual worms and if any of them are ec carriers it should erradicate it which will mean that if something knocks their immune system then they would less likely to develope active ec.....you then would not need to do it again unless they showed signs of ec or worms..

Please could I ask a question about panacur? I have got a giant rabbit (approx 4.7 kg). I am about to give him a course of panacur (as a precautionary measure). Is 9 days ok in this case? Would it do any harm to give it to him for a longer period of time? When he was new to me, I gave him panacur for 9 days. He had never had it before.

we'd normally say 28 days when you first get them & if you introduce new bunnies but no need to do a 9 day course several times a year as previously recomended. If your bunny shows signs of EC then it is a 28 day course which might need to be repeated a couple of times + the very strict cleaning that goes with it before the EC is erradicated. Panacur is a very inert medicine so it will not harm them to give it, although it shoudn't be given for very prolonged periods of time as it may cause resistance but I also understand there are some side effects for very prolonged exposure, however the 28 day course is fine.

fudge will happily take his panacur or antibiotics inside a mini shredded wheat either plain or one with fruit,....Its normally the first thing I give him on a morning when his food dish is empty so I know that he has definaetly eaten it but being a pampered singleton its not too difficult if he leaves it til later...

Back