• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not doing well update: need urgent help with pain medicine

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
Yuki had his teeth burred yesterday, as well as a sharp molar spur growing into his lower jaw trimmed. The spur left a sore that's causing him terrible pain. A lot of his bottom teeth are loose too. He hasn't eaten at all since Monday, and I've been syringe feeding him which is painful for him because of his sore mouth. I've been giving him Metacam but he still looks like he's in pain and groggy. It took him a lot longer to wake up from the anesthetic yesterday most likely because he was weak from not eating. He still looks groggy this morning. I just don't know what to do. He's never been this out of it before.

Last edited:
Yes. I plan to call them as soon as they open. I was thinking of getting him a pain relief injection and a gut stimulant.

I just talked to the vet and she advised me to get an injection of butorphanol for the pain that our local vet should have. She also suggested cisapride for moving the gut along. She said it was ok to give metacam even with the butorphanol but I am very hesitant to give him so much pain relief at the same time. I'm also worried that the metacam will cause stomach ulcers, especially that he's not eating and drinking much. I gave him about 25ml of Critical Care, but I still feel hesitant to give him the metacam. Advice please.

The butorphanol is an opiate and can be given at the same time as Metacam.
Could the Vet prescribe Ranitidine rather than Cisipride. Ranitidine is an anti GI ulcer med but it also has similar GI motility effects to Cisipride.

They gave him a shot of a gut stimulant that wasn't cisapride, but I forgot the name. I think it's the one you mentioned. He also got the butorphanol and his depocillin shot. They gave me some butorphanol to take home and give orally. They said it should last 24 hours and I could give the Metacam today too, but if he was in too much pain, I could give the butorphanol every 4 hours in very tiny amounts.

He tried to eat some of his carrot right now, but he can't chew properly because of the sore in his mouth. :( I wonder how long it'll take until it's healed enough to not cause him pain when he eats.

Back