• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter help... (for toilets)

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi, I have always used wood based cat liter pellets for my buns but it can prove expensive.

Should i definately not use fullers earth? The grit type? its so much cheaper but is it suitable?

Thanks

No it isnt suitable, it can give the breathing problems.
For my bunnies tray I use a layer of newspaper and a mix of barley straw, reddie grass and excel forage.
This is ideal as she can do her business and sit and chew hay as she goes. Rabbits love to eat and poo.
I used to use a litter from the hay experts online which was just recycled paper but i think a few layers of newspaper work just as well as it soaks up her wee fine.
I change this mostly everyday or sometimes i do it every other day but top her excel and reddie grass up.

No it isnt suitable, it can give the breathing problems.
For my bunnies tray I use a layer of newspaper and a mix of barley straw, reddie grass and excel forage.
This is ideal as she can do her business and sit and chew hay as she goes. Rabbits love to eat and poo.
I used to use a litter from the hay experts online which was just recycled paper but i think a few layers of newspaper work just as well as it soaks up her wee fine.
I change this mostly everyday or sometimes i do it every other day but top her excel and reddie grass up.

thanks for that,

i never knew- how does it affect breathing? dust?

we use paper based pellets.I always found the wood ones very smelly when soiled:lol: mind you i saw a new one in the petshop, it said for rabbits but was like those catsan ones? they are white balls that soak wee straight up? yet it said they were made of clay:?.

we use paper based pellets.I always found the wood ones very smelly when soiled:lol: mind you i saw a new one in the petshop, it said for rabbits but was like those catsan ones? they are white balls that soak wee straight up? yet it said they were made of clay:?.

i have used them once but find them so expensive but ok to mix in with shavings

I used to use paper bedding stuff, but now I use Carefresh, and it's so absorbant (and doesn't blow everywhere when it's windy :roll:)

I use carefresh too but will be trying megazorb when my delivery arrives as it's more economical than carefresh :D

Back