• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What type of rabbit do I have? and rabbit questions!

lee85

New Kit
This is my daughters rabbit, which type is she:

Also we are getting another rabbit this weakend, the rabbit we have stays in a very large chicken coop rabbit hutch and has the run of the garden, i would like to get a male so the little one can see the life process etc, will I want another cage or will they be okay together, I do have a spare cage you see.

Thanks

Hi :wave:

Your rabbit is an English spot (possibly crossed with something else judging by the large ears)

You can keep the rabbits together after the male is neutered. It's not a good idea to breed your rabbits because:

1) you don't know their genetic background so either could be carrying some sort of illness or hereditary problem

2) raising baby rabbits isn't as easy as you'd think...you will need 3 hutches (one for dad, one for mum and girls, and one for male babies when they reach 8 weeks old). Rabbits frequently kill or eat their first litter, which isn't pleasant for children. And baby rabbits are very prone to illness which can be expensive to treat.

3) finding homes for baby rabbits isn't easy and you may end up having to keep them all.

Breeding rabbits to show life processes is a really bad idea. Firstly, you have no idea of your bunny's history. You should never breed an animal if you don't know 5 generations of perfect heath. You have no idea what health problems you might give the babies.

Mummy bunny, will probably become a hormonal mess after she has had a litter. She's likely to be aggressive and grumpy....not really a good pet for a little one. If there's an unneutered male nearby they would get very frustrated.

It is very common for kits to die in a litter. You might not get one survive. The birth can kill the mum. If you don't know what you're doing then PLEASE don't breed.

As mum isn't spayed she is at risk of uterine cancer. Not a life lesson you'd like your daughter to find out about. If you kept the male and the female together she'd have countless pregnancies (as she is most fertile just after her kits are born.) Dad will hump her so much he can cause bleeding. They would fight, and could kill each other. If mum is stressed then she might kill the kits herself. Do you really want your little girl to have to experience this.

There are many books that show animals and pregnancy....this is a far better idea.

Best thing to do is get a neutered male, spay your girl and show your daughter the wonderfulness of a pair of bonded animals. Teaching love and respect for animals is a far better life lesson than making an unhappy breeding machine.

:love: :love: :love:

She is like my Delilah!
004-18.jpg

I have such a soft spot for english's. :love:

Great news your going to get her a partner, although is she is anything like my Dells, she will expect all the attention rather than give it :lol:.
And you dont have to get another english, any breed will be fine :). Delilah's husbun is a mixture :)

ok thanks! I will look to get another english spot, maybe forget about the breeding thing!

:thumb:
If you go to a rescue then they will be already neutered and vaxed...they might be able to bond them for you too :wave:

i've found a local rehoming place and were goingto pop threw on saturday and get her a nice friend. our rabbit is really, really tame and friendly - when it hears the patio door slide on you hear a russle in the bushes and it comes rushing over and jumps up and waits for you to stroke it!

They should both be spayed or they will fight eventually. Spaying also prevents a major disease for female rabbits, cancer of the womb, which affects a huge number of unspayed females past 6 years of age.

Male-Female partnerships are usually they easiest, but it's even more important that they are neutered in this case.

i've found a local rehoming place and were goingto pop threw on saturday and get her a nice friend. our rabbit is really, really tame and friendly - when it hears the patio door slide on you hear a russle in the bushes and it comes rushing over and jumps up and waits for you to stroke it!

What a little darling! Good for you for taking our advice, and adopting a friend from rescue. :thumb: Cue happy buns, happy daughter, and happy you! :D

Your rabbit is absolutely gorgeous! And great idea to go to a rehoming place to get a friend for your current rabbit.

Could you post some pictures for us to ogle when you get the second one one?!

yeh sure, i'll send some, i'll get some better pics of ours aswell, little girl called her 'Stripey' because of the stripe down her back.

When we have our new rabbit, as there new to each other obiously i'll have them in seperate cages - should I let one out at a time and let them sniff each other threw the bars and then eventually let them into the garden together? If so how long should I do this for?

yeh sure, i'll send some, i'll get some better pics of ours aswell, little girl called her 'Stripey' because of the stripe down her back.

When we have our new rabbit, as there new to each other obiously i'll have them in seperate cages - should I let one out at a time and let them sniff each other threw the bars and then eventually let them into the garden together? If so how long should I do this for?

If you are getting the new bun from a rescue they will often help with the binding. Which rescue are you going to? Whereabouts are you we might be able to point you in the direction of a good rescue

Back