• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question..Baytril Side Effects?!?!

Jaki5

Alpha Buck
Does Baytril have any side effects? Jack has been put on it by the vet, this is her first day of getting it, her poos are really small and hard (would be agony passing it I reckon however she seems fine) Also she is a bit disoreintated as in I gave her hay and she stood on her two legs then kind of stumbled backwards.

Any advice would be great! She is eating her pellets and hay as normal, however I only gave her a wee drop of pellets as she wasn't eating yesterday.

Thanks for any advice xx

Last edited:
I've never had any side effects with it, although im sure other people will advise if it is normal to have these side effects.

What is she on it for? The stumbling backwards sounds familiar as flopsy had these symptoms when she had suspected EC..

She has got a urinary tract infection, or so the vet said.
That was the only time she has done stumbled, she appears to be ok now, hoping she just lost her footing or something.

Thanks for replying to me x

I'd keep an eye on her and if she stumbles anymore get her checked out again.

Im sure someone will be along soon or in the morning to advise about baytril side effects :)

My buns quite often stumble when trying to reach something too high up, if it's just the one incident I wouldn't read anything into it :)

Thanks for replying to my post. Still no further forward with the Baytril advice, sometimes this forum can be really good other times people are to concerned about non-bunny things to reply to what I feel is an important post. Never mind x

Thanks for the advice, should have thought of that :lol:
Changed it now so hopefully some bunny master mind will come along and put my mind at ease x

Yes, oral baytril can cause an imbalance of the gut flora (it kills the bad and good bacteria).

Giving a probiotic might help whilst she's on the baytril. Good probiotics for rabbits are: fibreplex, bio-lapis, avipro.

It's also possible that the small poos could be a symptom of her illness, or due to a reluctance to eat, rather than because of the baytril. What is her appitite like?

Yes, oral baytril can cause an imbalance of the gut flora (it kills the bad and good bacteria).

Giving a probiotic might help whilst she's on the baytril. Good probiotics for rabbits are: fibreplex, bio-lapis, avipro.

You don't say what the baytril has been prescribed for though, so it's possible that the small poos could be a symptom of her illness, or due to a reluctance to eat certain foods, rather than because of the baytril

Where do I get the probiotic from? Should the vet not have given me this?
I said a few posts up that the vet said she as a urinary tract infection, I'm not sure that this is what she has as her syptoms don't add up, the vet only said this because when she was examining her she winced when she was squeezing around her tummy. She isn't eating very much and her poo's are small and hard like wee stones and she is just lying about now, normally she is a very energetic bunny!! x

My Flint had baytril a couple of times & it's put him off his food. It might be the taste, an effect or cos he's a stress wus:love:

The symptoms you describe could also be a blockage? Small hard poos, & not eating, & belly pain. Maybe metacam (pain relief) would help?

Where do I get the probiotic from? Should the vet not have given me this?

Baytril doesn't normally cause problems in most rabbits, so your vet wouldn't necessarily give you probiotics. You can buy probiotics from your vet, on-line from somewhere like VetUK, or Pets at Home do one too.

I said a few posts up that the vet said she as a urinary tract infection, I'm not sure that this is what she has as her syptoms don't add up, the vet only said this because when she was examining her she winced when she was squeezing around her tummy. She isn't eating very much and her poo's are small and hard like wee stones and she is just lying about now, normally she is a very energetic bunny!! x

Sorry, I didn't notice your post about the UTI...I've edited my reply :oops:

It sounds like she might be going into stasis (not eating much, lethargy, pain), so I'd recommend another trip to the vets. It's not something that is easily treated at home, and it's better to get it treated now before she gets worse.

Sending vibes xx

Thanks for all your replies. She had stasis before and it was this stuff she got the last time I'm sure. She really knows how to go about things does Jack!!!
I'll see how she is once I get home and decide what to do, will have a look for the probiotics on my lunch time.
Thanks again for all your help x

Personally I think you need to speak with your Vet again.
I have never had a Bun have any adverse s/e to Baytril and it is actually pretty inactive as far as gut flora goes so gut dysbiosis is rare.

My concern is that pain (from the UTI) may be causing GI tract hypomotility.
Is Jack having Metacam ?

Also, the 'loss of balance' is something you need to mention to the Vet. It may be a 'one off' stumble, but it needs to be monitored as if it's ongoing it is certainly abnormal and possibly indicative of a neurological problem.

Personally I think you need to speak with your Vet again.
I have never had a Bun have any adverse s/e to Baytril and it is actually pretty inactive as far as gut flora goes so gut dysbiosis is rare.

My concern is that pain (from the UTI) may be causing GI tract hypomotility.
Is Jack having Metacam ?

Also, the 'loss of balance' is something you need to mention to the Vet. It may be a 'one off' stumble, but it needs to be monitored as if it's ongoing it is certainly abnormal and possibly indicative of a neurological problem.

All these big words scare me :? No she isn't having Metcam only got Baytril from the Vet's. What does GI tract hypomotility mean? Sorry if I'm being pure thick but she isn't normally ill so this is all new to me!! x

All these big words scare me :? No she isn't having Metcam only got Baytril from the Vet's. What does GI tract hypomotility mean? Sorry if I'm being pure thick but she isn't normally ill so this is all new to me!! x

Sorry, I mean her guts may be slowing down in response to pain from the UTI.
So an anti inflammatory such as Metacam would be useful.

Ok thanks Jane, I'll see how she is when I get home and see how her poo's are looking. Trust her to be like this when her Daddy is away!! x

Back