• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ernie is not breathing right. U/D been to the vets

I have just gone out to put the buns to bed and noticed that Ernie is making funny noises when he eats or cleans himself. The only way I can describe it is if you imagine letting out a short sharp breath. (as though you were squeazing out a breath when you have breathed out all you can:?:?).

He lives in a shed with Honey and Eric. He is a healthy bun normally. We have had one bout of Ileus in July last year, but that is it.

I will get him straight down the vets first thing in the morning, but does anyone know what it could be?
I can't believe I will have had all 3 buns to the vets in one week. I must be doing something wrong:cry::cry:

Last edited:
I don't know:oops:
I didn't think to feel. Do you think he will be alright until the morning? He seems fine in himself. Eating, drinking and going to the litter tray fine.

As he is a Dental Bun it may be tooth root related.
Alternatively it may be the start of a RTI

Good luck at the Vets xx

As he is a Dental Bun it may be tooth root related.
Alternatively it may be the start of a RTI

Good luck at the Vets xx

Thank you Jane. Just missed you on-line last night. I knew you would be here soon. Thank you.

Ernie isn't a dental bun, but Eric and Honey are.

His nose is dry and no weepy eyes. He is eating normally this morning and being his normal self. The noises were not so prominent this morning, but still there. It's not a grunt or squeek, just like a groan I suppose and it's not loud.

If it is a RTI, could it be caused by all the cold and damp air around at the moment, or is there anything else that could have caused it?

Thanks again Jane x

I am just going to give the vets a call and get him checked out.

Last edited:
Thank you Jane. Just missed you on-line last night. I knew you would be here soon. Thank you.

Ernie isn't a dental bun, but Eric and Honey are.

His nose is dry and no weepy eyes. He is eating normally this morning and being his normal self. The noises were not so prominent this morning, but still there. It's not a grunt or squeek, just like a groan I suppose and it's not loud.

If it is a RTI, could it be caused by all the cold and damp air around at the moment, or is there anything else that could have caused it?

Thanks again Jane x

I am just going to give the vets a call and get him checked out.

As Ernie is related to Eric and Honey I would not rule out Dental problems.

RTI's can be triggered by environmental stressors or from another concurrent problem (eg Dental ones involving the tooth ROOTS)

Or than can be the primary disease process

Abx may bring about a relief in symptoms but if the primary cause is chronic in nature the RTI symptoms are likely to flare up from time to time.

xx

Just got back from the vets and the vet can't hear any problems with his chest or breathing. He has checked his teeth and all fine. Ernie didn't make a noise, so the vet could hear the sound. Typical!!!
He said that with all the damp weather and change in temperature, it may be an underlying infection, so has given a baytril injection and a dose by mouth. I am to give 2 doses of baytril daily for 6 days.

He mentioned Pastuerella, but said he hadn't got it, but we need to keep an eye on things. I have to go back next week to see how he is doing, but if I had any concerns before to go back straight away.

Ernie doesn't have a wet or runny nose and no problems with his eyes.
I really hope the course of Baytril will sort it out.
Please can we have some vibes for Ernie and some "speed up the nice weather" wishes too! I hate this damp weather.

Thank you all x

Back