• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please.

Just_Kazzy

Young Bun
I've had my two youngest buns since June, getting them off my cousins friends who's rabbits had babies 9long story :roll:). Anyway were told that they were female, their vet had sexed them. Both have lived together since birth absoultly fine, Moved them indoors in the really cold has they weren't doing well in the cold and Rosie was ill. Last night I went to check there nails, and discovered Rosie isn't a she, she's a he!!!!!! Total shock have had them since June both are not spayed yet!! I never checked their sex really should of, feel so stupid now!!

Anyway had them at the vets this morning to be checked, yes I now have one girl and one boy who have been together since birth, god knows how they have never reproduced!! :shock::shock:

Now is my problem, me and my vet decided to keep them together since they have been from birth, with him never trying to mount her or any aggression, in fact the opposite both are so in love they don't leave each others side, and if you pick one up the other gets distressed untill they are back together. They are both booked in for thurs to be spayed and neutred, but they have started fighting!! Everything was fine till feeding time, went to get there pellets came back to them fighting!!!! :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

He has been trying to mount her since then with her not impressed and me totally stressed about what to do now. In between the fighting and mounting they are cuddled up flopping out, eating out the same bowl, grooming each other. Do I keep them together and perservere? Or do I seperate and then rebond later?? No idea what to do for the best and I'm totally stressed. Please help! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd separate them immediately! It may be she's already pregnant. If she gives birth overnight he'll "catch" her again...can't believe the vet said to keep them together.. :evil:

Maybe the visit to the vets has unsettled them? Probably best to separate them but keep them next to eachother then rebond them when they are over their respecive spays (hope she's not pregnant :( ). Good luck x

I'm guessing you never had them checked by your vet either? :lol:

Agree with Tinsel, keep them apart until they're neutered :)

vet checked her tummy, she isn't pregnant. Vet said to keep them together as they get very stressed when apart.

He has only started mounting her tonight, he has never done this before.

They ar enow being fine together no fighting, no mounting. Just cuddled up together, grooming each other and eating hay.

I'm so stressed. :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't know how much I've cried tonight can't believe how stupid I've been and not checked them. Vet didn't check either as she took my word that they were girls.

If I do seperate I have no spare cage for one of them, how could I make one?

If she's being spayed on Thursday I don't see a problem with them being together. Even if she does get pregnant the spay is so soon. If they get stressed being separated that could be really bad for them as it's obviously going to be really stressful going for their operations.

That's just my gut feeling.

The issue is the fighting...it could get worse between now and op day...one of them could get seriously hurt :?

The issue is the fighting...it could get worse between now and op day...one of them could get seriously hurt :?

Thats my thinking, it has got worse, Daisy can no longer move without him, mounting her, seriously considering splitting them up now. :cry: :cry: :cry:

vet checked her tummy, she isn't pregnant. Vet said to keep them together as they get very stressed when apart.

He has only started mounting her tonight, he has never done this before.

This can never be 100% though, she may be carrying them up higher, my vet said even on examination of rabbits sometimes it can be missed. I would separate them personally and re-bond after the spay/neutering. If she is pregnant it will be an abortive spay aswell. It may be worth delaying her spay for longer. I think I would be inclined to get another vet aswell as I don't think the advice you have received is very good and a bit complacent. Have you got a spare room that could house one of them free range and the other in the cage, or maybe the bathroom or kitchen and swap them over. I would be inclined to keep her in the cage and tomorrow get a couple of puppy pens for them to go side by side http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...reId=10551&catalogId=10601&langId=-1&x=15&y=2, you can always combine the two for one enclosure when they are both back together. Sorry if this isn't helpful, it's just what I would do, she will need a suitable nest box aswell in case she is pregnant. Or just go with what the vet is suggesting, only you can decide. Best of luck, try not to blame yourself, your only human and no-one is infallible especially if your new to rabbits. Hope it works out and they are both safe and back together soon x

This can never be 100% though, she may be carrying them up higher, my vet said even on examination of rabbits sometimes it can be missed. I would separate them personally and re-bond after the spay/neutering. If she is pregnant it will be an abortive spay aswell. It may be worth delaying her spay for longer. I think I would be inclined to get another vet aswell as I don't think the advice you have received is very good and a bit complacent. Have you got a spare room that could house one of them free range and the other in the cage, or maybe the bathroom or kitchen and swap them over. I would be inclined to keep her in the cage and tomorrow get a couple of puppy pens for them to go side by side http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...reId=10551&catalogId=10601&langId=-1&x=15&y=2, you can always combine the two for one enclosure when they are both back together. Sorry if this isn't helpful, it's just what I would do, she will need a suitable nest box aswell in case she is pregnant. Or just go with what the vet is suggesting, only you can decide. Best of luck, try not to blame yourself, your only human and no-one is infallible especially if your new to rabbits. Hope it works out and they are both safe and back together soon x

Thank you for your advice. I have a dog crate which I'm thinking I may move him to and put it next to her cage so they will still be able to see an smell each other. And then rebond after their ops! The dog crate is not perfect but would do just now with free ranging time untill I can rebond, as he is constantly at her now, she is stressed out poor girl. :cry: Can't belive how much he has changed since this morning!!! :shock:

Back