• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets wont prescribe anything other than baytril??

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
What do you do? :shock: My old vet prescribed pretty much what I asked her to, as long as she knew I was aware of the risks. I have called all the vets round here to be treated a complete idiot 'We don't prescribe anything other than baytril - Its all thats licensed?' - Well, What happens then? She just gets worse? :?

find another, i went into a new vets that just opened in town today and asked about panacure as i need to do doc again, price was reasonable considering i know i can get it cheaper online, we had a discustion about myxi he says he never gives out meds for it as he says they either recover themselves or need to be pts :roll: needless to say i wont be signing up there im happy so far with my vet who treated linus

strange ive noticed its the male vet that have said this not any of the female vets ive spoken to

I've called all the vets I know, I have one left to try - and then another that I cant realistically get to but will have to try :?

ah yesthats true for linus because of what i asked for, i was told its not tested for rabbits just cats and dogs i was asked to sign a form, so they didnt have to accept liabilty

ah yesthats true for linus because of what i asked for, i was told its not tested for rabbits just cats and dogs i was asked to sign a form, so they didnt have to accept liabilty

Yep, they cant legally just hand out off-licence medication without first following proper proceedures. They would put their careers at risk if they were to do so.

It's not that the cant/wont prescribe any other abx but Baytril. It's just that they have to adhere to the prescribing cascade.

Here's a bit more info:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium/Overview/-45043.html

This is how I lost Sorrel I think :cry: by the time I found out that they wouldn't even consider prescribing anything other than Baytril, it was too late really :(

In future my tactic would be to find out things like this asap so I have time to change to another vet :( :(

hope she's ok. x

print off RU threads and threaten to leave.. then actually leave...

armed with RU info i reakon any of us could take on a vets and get the correct treatment, but in all honesty would we really want that practice treating our very poorly buns :?

if you sign a waiver about un licenced drugs then there would be no comeback on the vets if thats what they are worried about :(

What do you do? :shock: My old vet prescribed pretty much what I asked her to, as long as she knew I was aware of the risks. I have called all the vets round here to be treated a complete idiot 'We don't prescribe anything other than baytril - Its all thats licensed?' - Well, What happens then? She just gets worse? :?

It's also worth considering that whilst they won't prescribe it, they can still adminster it in the surgery. I don't think they are treating you like an idiot, I think it's responsible and sensible to an extent. As the links JacksJane provided explain there are so many issues to consider with 'off-licence' medication. For example, metacam given too often over a long period of time may actually be ineffective, the animal may build up a resistance to it. I think it's sensible that they try and restrict the chemicals being given to small animals. I disagreed with my vet when she said she wouldn't prescribe Metacam for Gizmo after his spay but, in hindsight I think she was right. He was fine on the injection for 24 hours and so was my dog when she was spayed. I had the option of going back in for more pain relief if it had been necessary. I think you have to trust their professional judgement, they aren't saying or doing it to make animals suffer that's for sure. That is not what vet's do.

Back