• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet costs

batmobile

Mama Doe
I know this varies from vet to vet but I suspect one of my buns may need blood tests and fecal tests tomorrow (lost a lot of weight though eating and pooing normally). The last bun I had this problem with was kindly treated by the RSPCA as I hadn't had them long. Can someone please give me an idea how much these tests will be so I can be prepared...
I would love a month where I have healthy buns instead of backwards and forwards to vets. :cry: It's been a bit of a nightmare recently.

Thanks!

If they're sending them both off then it'll be £65ish for both. Then they'll want to do a follow up after the treatment. This will just be bloods though, so will be another £50.

(At least that's what I was charged a few months ago.)

All together, with the meds it's cost me over £300....not to mention the rest I had to pay because he attacked Ruby...:roll::roll:

This will be on the good side though. All Ted needed was treatment for a long term, chronic infection that his body couldn't fight. Paws crossed it's not your boy's liver!

I feared this... I have just been very unlucky recently and I think if you have a few buns, it is more likely that things go wrong more frequently. Or seems like it. Keep all things crossed that it hasn't affected organs. Other bun was fine - just treated for the parasite.... :cry:

I feared this... I have just been very unlucky recently and I think if you have a few buns, it is more likely that things go wrong more frequently. Or seems like it. Keep all things crossed that it hasn't affected organs. Other bun was fine - just treated for the parasite.... :cry:

It might not be a parasite. With Ted, I was being over paranoid, as he had lost some weight (at his smallest he was 5.2kg...down from 6.5kg. But I'd noticed it way before that.)

Best scenario was that it was an infection, which baytril would treat. Worst case it was his liver, and he was unlikely to pull through. Luckily it was the former. Good luck for the bunster. :love:

My vets do basic blood tests in house (i.e. kidney/liver function) and only charge about £25 or £30 for this. Anything else needs to be sent to an external lab, which usually costs about £60

Yep, about £60 would be about right if they are sent off site. It is a while since mine have had any.

I hope your bunny will be OK and it isn't anything serious.

Back