• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles? Pneumonia, Dental U/D 1.2.10

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Albie is struggling again, he has white nasal discharge, the insides of his paws are dry and slightly matted, his breathing is "weezy" (sp?) and he sneezes every so often?

It seems to affect him every Winter, before it has come and gone with a little course of Baytril, but its different this time, i have never had his breathing like this, he sounds astmatic (sp?) and as though he has a cold?

I have been cleaning his paws and wiping his nose.

Is there anything else i can do until he goes to the Vets on Thursday?

Any idea of other treatment, i do know Faye and Jill tried everything with there Vets but struggled to get anything to budge it for him? If i remember they said a strong course of Baytril?

Also what actually is snuffles? A book i have says its to do with Pasturella? It also mentions a "vapour rub" been used to keep airways clear and make breathing easier?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
If he is wheezy he really needs to see a Vet today :?

What diagnostics has he had in the past ?
Is he a Dental Rabbit ?

I have tried and tried, he cant be seen till Thursday, there is nothing i can do.

Yes he is a dental bun. But he hasnt had a dental for around 6months?

You must not wait until Thursday..if he is wheezing it may be too late to help him, he MUST see a vet today..if yours cannot see him take him somewhere else although I'm sure yours has spaces for very ill animals
What is the name of the vet..same as on adoption form?
I can ring them and get him an appointment if you like

So can anyone explain what it is? And what should be done for him etc?

I like to go to the vets knowing thats all.

Any quick replies are appreciated

I would think it is worth investigating his Dental problems aswell as treating his Respiratory Symptoms.
Nasal discharge and sneezing can occur in Buns who have elongated tooth roots. As he has not had a Dental for 6 months it may be that the crowns of his molars are very long and consequently any tooth root elongation already present will be exacerbated.

Whilst it's important to treat the RTI it is equally important to try to find out if there is a primary cause other than 'just infection'.

I would think it is worth investigating his Dental problems aswell as treating his Respiratory Symptoms.
Nasal discharge and sneezing can occur in Buns who have elongated tooth roots. As he has not had a Dental for 6 months it may be that the crowns of his molars are very long and consequently any tooth root elongation already present will be exacerbated.

Whilst it's important to treat the RTI it is equally important to try to find out if there is a primary cause other than 'just infection'.

How? What would they do?

Jill did any of this get done before? I dont want to repeat etc

How? What would they do?

Jill did any of this get done before? I dont want to repeat etc

When a Rabbit is diagnosed with Dental Disease it is always a good idea to get skull radiographs taken to assess the tooth roots. This will give some idea of how advanced the problem is and if other clinical symptoms (eg snotty nose, gunky eyes) can be attributed to Dental Disease

http://www.vetdent.eu/downloads/dent-rab-tooth-elong.pdf

Managing a Dental Rabbit is not just about monitoring what is going on with the crowns (ie dealing with spurs etc) but also monitoring the tooth roots and occlusion of the jaw. Aswell as keeping a check on the tooth enamel and gums.

Maybe tooth root elongation is not the issue for your Bun. But you cant know for sure unless diagnostics have ruled them out.

Been to Vets

After seeing the Nurse yesterday Albie went back to the Vets today.

First of all he needs a dental.

She listened to his chest and said its very "raspy"?

She wants to start on him on a course of Baytril (half a ml) twice daily for a week and see what effect this has. If he doesnt show any sign of getting better in around 3-4days he has to go back and we will discuss Penicillin injections, which will be given daily.

She said he has Pneumonia? My understanding of this isnt very clear, can anyone explain?

His dental cant be done until he recovers from this, or until we at least get it under control.

She told me to keep him, clean, warm and as litle stress as possible.

ETA - hes having probiotics added to his water too

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about Albie :(

I don't want to worry you but pneumonia is bad news. I'd want to start on the penicillin straight away...a few days is a long time when you're dealing with lower resp. infections.

sending vibes xx

I'm so sorry to hear about Albie :(

I don't want to worry you but pneumonia is bad news. I'd want to start on the penicillin straight away...a few days is a long time when you're dealing with lower resp. infections.

sending vibes xx

I know its bad news. Been searching the internet all night and reading my books. I had a feeling it was this. I did mention wanting to start the penicillin but as my Vet says she hasnt actually treated him with Baytril and she wants to see if this helps first. I am confident in what she says, she said at any point if i am unhappy i am to take him back in which we will start the injections.

Sending vibes.

It was pneumonia that killed my Echo :cry:
She was here in the morning all fine and alert, and gone by the evening.

Back