• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie is going for a check-up x-ray.. U/D P29 - another check up today

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
In about three hours time my boy will be having an x-ray to see how much sludge/calcium he has in his bladder. Six weeks ago the x-ray was really promising but it could have been the diuretic that made a lot of difference. This time he's not had any Frusemide since New Year's Eve and he's definitely been weeing less since.... so how much of the calcium has he got rid of?

He will pretty certainly need his bladder expressing again at some point, today is really to determine how soon/how often this will need doing. I'm really hoping more than anything that the expressing of his bladder will be enough and that he will never need another cystotomy if everything is controlled well.

25 October was last time he had a 'not eating' crisis so he's doing really well compared to the previous 12 months *touches wood*. He has however been on daily Metacam so perhaps that's making the difference..... He's been so happy and bouncing around like a teenager :love::love:

.... Results later then
(Thank god the snow has gone - I've been dreading doing this journey in bad weather).

Last edited:
Hope it all goes well for you.
Have you tried filtering their water? Blue had terrible sludge and the vet recomended that I started using a water filter to help keep it under control.

Hope it all goes well for you.
Have you tried filtering their water? Blue had terrible sludge and the vet recomended that I started using a water filter to help keep it under control.

Thanks. There isn't a problem with calcium in the water in this area. (Can never remember if you call it soft water/hard water, whatever, it's not full of calcium).

Thanks. There isn't a problem with calcium in the water in this area. (Can never remember if you call it soft water/hard water, whatever, it's not full of calcium).

Fair enough. Our's is really hard (lots of calcium) down here so I guess that's why he recomended it.

awwww I hope all goes well x

We have soft water in Yorkshire my love. It's those southerners that have hard water :lol: :lol:

Hope it all goes well. :love::love:

fingers crossed hes still doing well :D

Thanks guys :love::love:

Bad news :( His x-ray showed that the calcium had built up quite badly in the last six weeks :cry::cry: FHB suggested that I leave him there so that the expressing could be done tomorrow. The alternative was to book him in some time later, but there would be a danger that he would reach crisis point before he was due in and the weather as it is I'd be scared I'd not be able to get him there when he really needed it :shock::cry::cry: Soo, the very best option was to leave him in the most excellent care of his Aunty Frances who will squeeze as much gunk out of his bladder tomorrow under sedation as she can and *hopefully* I *most probably* will be able to collect him late afternoon.

So I gave him a big cuddle and left him there. *Goes off to study weather forecast for next couple of days*

Oh poop :cry:

You're right though, better to deal with it now rather than when he has an obvious problem.

I hope he'll be home tomorrow xx

oh i am sorry.. i really thought his new diet and drugs would keep the evil calcium at bay :(

hope all goes well tomorrow xxxx

Thanks everybody.

oh i am sorry.. i really thought his new diet and drugs would keep the evil calcium at bay :(

hope all goes well tomorrow xxxx

Thanks. It looks like Frusemide helped a lot as his previous x-ray was a massive improvement on prior to that, this time there has been a worsening when he's been off his Frusemide, so I think he's going to be on it long-term, but I guess if the bladder problems could get so bad then it has to be if it improves it. :?

Thanks everybody.

Thanks. It looks like Frusemide helped a lot as his previous x-ray was a massive improvement on prior to that, this time there has been a worsening when he's been off his Frusemide, so I think he's going to be on it long-term, but I guess if the bladder problems could get so bad then it has to be if it improves it. :?

i guess your vet already has a plan of action. but i guess its either regular xrays and possible ops or the drugs which dont help the other organs... i hope your vet finds a nice happy medium hun so that he can has as much fun as possible for a good many years yet.

bunny illness :cry::cry::cry:

i guess your vet already has a plan of action. but i guess its either regular xrays and possible ops or the drugs which dont help the other organs... i hope your vet finds a nice happy medium hun so that he can has as much fun as possible for a good many years yet.

bunny illness :cry::cry::cry:

I know. :cry::cry: Unlike Pearl though he seems really well all the time in between his episodes. I was really suprised to hear/see his results as he's seemed so well. At least it's being monitored to get there before he reaches crisis point, it's only 3 months though, I was hoping for more like six. FHB didn't have any concerns about diuretics long-term so I just hope it won't be a problem for him. He really does seem happy in between so we will just go with whatever makes him happy :love:

I should be giving him a big cuddle and a spring green leaf at this time and he would be getting really excited about his greens :cry::cry:

*sigh* hopefully I'll be able to do so tomorrow.

:(:(:(

I've only just seen Artie's thread Alison - sending him lots of vibes & hoping he's back home with you tomorrow xx

Back