• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating, drinking or moving very much.

Canine

Young Bun
Sorry to make yet another thread, but I'm really concerned for my new female rabbit.

Ever since I had gotten her yesterday she has appeared to be a little stressed out and submissive towards the male rabbit she is currently bonding with. He is eating hay all day, moving about and exploring things yet she tends to stick to one spot until he forces her out of his way.

The chasing has stopped, but I have seen her eat very little hay, just the occasional nibble here and there. Her droppings look very different to Fin's, hers are dark brown/black and I haven't seen very many of them where as his are hard and much more pale.

I've put their vegetables out for them and she has eaten a bit of the Dutch carrot tops, the leafy dark green part, but refuses to eat much of anything else (bok choy or cos lettuce or celery) I've attempted to scatter it over the floor but she only has a nibble and then retreats back to her corner. I haven't seen her drink any water, but then again she probably had her drink in the middle of the night when I wasn't there to witness it.

She's only been with me for 36 hours, and she was spayed only 5 days ago and has been given the role of submissive by her cheeky little monkey of a partner, but I don't know at which point I should start getting very concerned.

** Fed her about six pellets and she ate them all

This whole thing is really stressing me out! :?

Last edited:
hi. it is all very stressful isnt it?!? i'm not an expert but i am guessing the fact that she has had alot of stress and change over the past few days is a major factor in this. keep trying her with tasty food and treats and hopefully someone will be along with some advice soon.

hi. it is all very stressful isnt it?!? i'm not an expert but i am guessing the fact that she has had alot of stress and change over the past few days is a major factor in this. keep trying her with tasty food and treats and hopefully someone will be along with some advice soon.

Hi, yes it's awfully stressing! I feel like I am just not good enough for them, they they could do so much better than being with me. Then I think they were both much happier when they were in the shelter with about 10 other beautiful creatures of their kind in a place which is as big as my lounge room, free to do whatever they want. Thank you for the encouragement though :) I will try her with a small piece of apple later on.

I also forgot to add to my first post that she had gobbled up the pellets I had given her (The oxbow Timothy hay pellets) so she obviously has an appetite of some sort.

How's her spay scar? Is it all intact, or any holes/swellings? Are stitches still in?

She could be in pain - it's early to get a bun after spay:? & to bond her:? She may get hurt if he's humping

I would probably get her to the vets with it being so soon after spay - she may need pain killers of even antibiotics. Aside from that, she has been through a lot moving /vets in last few days, so keep her warm, & quiet

Thank you for replying. To be honest, I haven't checked because she isn't ready to go near me yet. I was going to try and put them in their run today but she hid in the corner when it was time. I've only managed to give her a little rub on the head today as I didn't want to rush her and start handling her when wasn't ready.

He isn't humping her, I haven't seen him do that once yet so I suppose that's good for her sake.

So I should definitely try and get an appointment with the vets if it doesn't improve?

I'm so worried about her, I don't know how people with terminally ill bun's do this. :cry: My family thinks I'm going over the top and I'm starting to get on their nerves.

It does seem early after her spay to be bonding. She may well need some pain relief. I would get her checked by the vet, to be honest.

Back