• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need to vent

BunMom

Alpha Buck
:( I was browsing another rabbit forum and they have a breeder section so I looked in :cry: I really, really wish I hadn't. A breeder had built a shed with hutches in it that were 1'8" by 1'11". :shock: About 30 hutches in an 8 by 10 shed. I was horrified and the worst part was the positive feedback she got from the other breeders. One person said something about the hutches being small. The OP then said that Nethie's shouldn't have larger hutches:shock: and that the RWA guidelines only apply for pet rabbits:evil::(
WT:censored:, I am at a loss and feel like the case for rabbits is hopeless. To be honest, I never really had anything against "good" breeders. I know there are good ones and bad ones but I idiotically assumed that if the person cared enough to join a rabbit forum that they had at least some compassion for their bunnies. I really think I needed to see this because now I know for sure, I will never buy another rabbit from a breeder.
It is disheartening, the plight of the rabbit.:cry: I am sorry if this is erratic and jumbled...I am just...I don't even know:(

I try not to look any more as it's just too depressing :cry:
I'd like to challenge them to a life of confinement in a shoebox :evil:

I know which site you are talking about, and it was me who said I think its too small! That thread was from last year, and I got PMs from people saying that they are all well looked after, and this person in question is an exceptional breeder :roll: Their living space is the size of a cardboard box :evil:

I can't hack visiting that site anymore.... so many rabbit 'professions' but with SO little knowledge :evil:

Last edited:
1'8"? :? My Syrian hamster lived in accommodation probably twice that size! My (small) rabbit is easily over a foot long when laid down - how would they like to be confined to a room that is 5' x 5' until the end of time :?.

I seriously don't know how people can defend the indefencible. Mind boggling

Show breeders are governed by exactly the same laws as pet owners. It's only large scale commercial breeders who have to meet different standards.

I would think even the RSPCA would have an issue with hutches that size if the rabbits didn't get out in a run.

I know which site you are talking about, and it was me who said I think its too small! That thread was from last year, and I got PMs from people saying that they are all well looked after, and this person in question is an exceptional breeder :roll: Their living space is the size of a cardboard box :evil:

I can't hack visiting that site anymore.... so many rabbit 'professions' but with SO little knowledge :evil:

Thanks for saying something Janak:) I thought about it, but anything constructive illuded me. I didn't realize it was an old thread either, so now those poor little bunnies have been imprisoned for another year:cry:
Someone commented that when they died they wanted to come back as one of the OP's Nethies. I felt like saying, just grab a bucket to :censored: in and a bottle of water and lock yourself in your closet...same thing.
I won't be going back to that forum either...the ignorance is overwhelming and so frustrating. I can't cope with it.

Show breeders are governed by exactly the same laws as pet owners. It's only large scale commercial breeders who have to meet different standards.

I would think even the RSPCA would have an issue with hutches that size if the rabbits didn't get out in a run.

The person lives in Ireland. I have no idea what the animal welfare laws are there, but I do know that if that is exceptable, the laws need to be changed. There was no run either.:(

Back