• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please

Nummy

Young Bun
:wave: Hello everyone. I am back with another situation. As you all know Nummy has had quite a month. On the 5th he had dental surgery, and then the following Sunday he had a medical emergency trying to pass a bladder stone. I picked him up from the vets last Friday. He seems bright eyed and content now that the worst is behind him, but now we are stuck facing this long bout of stasis. It has been 14 days since Nummy has touched his pellets. His poos have been small since his dental surgery. He has been eating some greens but not enough that will avoid any syringe feedings. I have been syring feeding him 4 times a day and have been offering as much greens as he will eat. (He has hay too but is not interested). He is on pain meds still till Wednesday. I was hoping anyone could tell me if this is normal considering what he has been through this month. He is stasis prone and goes through the not wanting to eat thing a few times a year. I always seem to pull him out of it in a few days, but this time the circumstances are different since he has never had sugery or even stayed the night at a vets. This whole thing has just stressed him out. I am just hoping I am doing the right things. Has anyone else had a struggle getting their bunny to eat after surgery? How long can this go on before his lazy gut wakes up again???

Well we made a bit of progress tonight, I moistend Nummy's pellets and fluffed them up under his nose and he ate!!!! I am so happy things look like they are getting better after all :love::D

im glad Nummy's feeling better this morning. often just after a routine burring Pierres teeth seem to be very sensitive and he wont touch his pellets unless they are moistened. after a few days i reduce the amount of water i use until hes eatting soild pellets again

I do hope that Nummy will continue to eat moistened pellets now.
Stress can play a huge part in GI stasis. Last year one of my Dental Buns did not eat or poo for 6 days after surgery despite intensive nursing care :shock:
She did eventually recover, thank goodness :)

Please keep us updated on Nummy's progress xx

This morning I went to Nummy's hutch and saw he had only ate 1 leaf of lettuce and left all the pellets and the rest of the greens. So it was back to a syringe feeding this morning :roll: I have some appetite stimulent I could give him but the vet says it isn't nessesary if I keep syringe feeding. Should I give him some anyways? This whole not wanting to eat thing has lasted too long now. Does anyone think I should give him the mobility meds?

We cant tell you to go against your Vet's advice really :?

Will he it the Critical Care from a bowl ?

Is he still on Metacam ? I wonder if it'd be a good idea for your Vet to prescribe an anti GI ulcer med such as Ranitidine. A Rabbit's stomach is a very acidic environment and if he has eaten very little for several days he is at risk of GI ulceration. Being on Metacam will add to that risk as GI ulceration is a potential side-effect of Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatories.

No he won't eat it from the bowl, But he dosen't mind when I syringe him. He has been eating over the last several days, but not his pellets. I have to force feed him the critical care though because his vegie intake seems a bit low. Today seemed to get better. I did syringe him some critical care this morning, I left out lotsa greens and softened pellets too. I came to feed him his food at around 3pm and noticed he had eaten all his greens and had been nibbling on some pellets. It seems like he is doing much better tonight. He has eaten a full bowl of pellets and more greens than usual. So things are starting to look like they should be getting better, I just hope he keeps eating through the night. His poos are still not the usual size, but they are getting bigger than they have been for the last 2 weeks. I have to switch his pellets too to the oxbow brand, but he is picky and does not seem interested in it at all. He wants his usual brand. (Which may have caused a bladder stone) How should I get him to eat the new food? Should I wait till he is fully recovered from this stasis before doing the switch? Oh and yes he has been on pain meds but is done the prescription tomorrow.

I would not make any dietry changes whilst his GI tract is still not functioning normally. Just try to keep his fluids up.

Also, it might be a good idea to request more analgesia for him. If he gets more pain it'll set him right back as far as his eating and pooing goes.

Back