• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Companion for my jedi.

Hi I'm new to this site and just wanted some advice really. I have an 8 month old French lop called Obe he is very large already and has a lovely tempermant(sp) I bought him from a breeder in Selby. I don't have any pics of him or his hutch as yet but he has the Orchard Manor hutch from Pets at home which is quite large. I noticed another thread on single rabbits feeling lonely and am now wondering if he needs his own mate and also if I have room and do I have to go for the same breed. Any advice gratefully recieved x x
Helen x

Hoping Darth Vadar hasn't got you :lol: Just kidding, if you have that hutch and the run attached and assuming he is neutered you could think about getting him a girlfriend providing they would get out of the hutch/run for at least 2-3 hours aswell for exercise. Otherwise I would be inclined to sell the hutch and get a shed with a catflap out to a run. I thought French Lops were large and therefore it might be a bit of a squeeze with two of them. Hopefully you will get some more replies and suggestions. I am just saying what I would do. Hope you enjoy the forum x
P/s have a look at this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...1&fh_refpath=facet_159016497&ts=1263857219023 it's cheaper than your hutch !:shock:

Last edited:
Hi Helen

Welcome to RU, there is no doubt that buns really thrive with a friend of their own. However giving them as much space as possible to run around and binky is really important too. If a bun is not allowed to run around his muscles become very weak, they also get very bored and depressed.

We would love to see pics of your bun.

Do you let him out to run around?

Hi thank you both for the replies x I do have a run as well for Obe and he also comes in the caravan and has run of the decking which is an enclosed space of about thirty foot by seven foot. I do worry about cats getting him as there is alot of wild cats and pet cats where I live, I'm thinking if he carries on growing at this rate though the cats will be scared of him! Getting a shed isn't really an option as we live on a caravan site and aren't allowed to put sheds inbetween the vans. I'd love him to have a pal but do worry it would take his space up.
I will post some photos of him when my daughter comes home and shows me how to do it:oops:

Helen x

Getting him a friend wouldnt take his space seen as you let him out in the decking area alot.
He would really benefit from the bunny company.

Does it have to be the same breed? My sil has a girl bunny that she has lost interest in:( and says I can take her. How much is it to get him neutered please? Sorry for all the questions still learning. While I'm on a roll when should I get his teeth checked?

Helen x

Her bunny is a lionhead x

Last edited:
Does it have to be the same breed? My sil has a girl bunny that she has lost interest in:( and says I can take her. How much is it to get him neutered please? Sorry for all the questions still learning. While I'm on a roll when should I get his teeth checked?

Helen x

What breed is your SIL's bun? It is generally recomended to try and keep buns of similar sizes, but plenty of people on here have 'mixed sizes' if you know wht I mean. It all depends of personalities.
If you have a good bunny savvy vet then just ask them for a quote for the neuter. It will take 6-8 weeks for him to be no longer fertile. You would also need to get the female bun speyed too (if she isn't already).

You could ask for them to check his teeth during his neuter (they can get a better look when he's anaesthetised as it's hard to see into the back of a rabbit's mouth when they're awake).

If you look in the 'Behaviour and bonding' section there is lots of advice on introducing rabbits - not every bun likes every other bun (like people, really :)).

I'll look at that thread thank you. I've just rang my local vet and it's £32 for Obe to be done and £36 pound for his lady friend which I thought was reasonable I rang Petvax which is supposed to be one of the cheapest and it was £60:shock:

£36 to have a female speyed is amazingly cheap :shock: I cant remember how much Muppet's neuter cost - it was three years ago but it was more in the £60 ball park (and he's male).

Just be careful that it's not one of those 'too good to be true' situations - do they really know what they're doing (are they experienced), what's included in that (extra for pain relief after the op, extra for post-op checks...).

£36 to have a female speyed is amazingly cheap :shock: I cant remember how much Muppet's neuter cost - it was three years ago but it was more in the £60 ball park (and he's male).

Just be careful that it's not one of those 'too good to be true' situations - do they really know what they're doing (are they experienced), what's included in that (extra for pain relief after the op, extra for post-op checks...).

Yes I would agree with this, they might try and charge you more on collection. Get it all itemised as a quote. A lionhead and a french lop, I don't think size matters really with rabbits within reason, it's a bit like dogs that doesn't matter too much either, it will be funny if she becomes the boss and she is a little dink :D

Right thanks for that I shall make sure I ask exactly what that price includes. It's a local vet which always seems busy and I know a few people use. I will not be getting Obe done till the beginning of March as I'm we have to move off site for four week next week so I'll be getting him done on my return. Yes I can just see him being ordered about by a little dot, he's such a placid fella although his dad Sebastian seemed a real mister cool maybe he's going to be just as laid back x Thanks for all the advice...god it's stressful it's like having another child to worry about:love:

Right thanks for that I shall make sure I ask exactly what that price includes. It's a local vet which always seems busy and I know a few people use. I will not be getting Obe done till the beginning of March as I'm we have to move off site for four week next week so I'll be getting him done on my return. Yes I can just see him being ordered about by a little dot, he's such a placid fella although his dad Sebastian seemed a real mister cool maybe he's going to be just as laid back x Thanks for all the advice...god it's stressful it's like having another child to worry about:love:

:lol::lol:They are worth it though. Such a lovely pet. You'll have to update how things are going, hope you enjoy the forum, it's really helpful to have so much advice and help at your fingertips :love:

Ahhh, the stressful side of bunny ownership! There's plenty more to come. Stress just means you care about your bun, which is music to our ears on this forum :)

Pics and stories please. I want to see this little monkey!

At the moment I'm trying to get pics of him to put on...what a laugh this is:lol: I've loads of bum shots as he just disappears out of shot! Doesn't help that my two year old is trying to put a blanket on him so that he's cosy:)

Back