• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you trim buns claws yourself?

lildebs

Mama Doe
Taking Bella and Oscar tomorrow, although it's mainly Oscar that needs his doing, I know you can buy the clippers but I'd be so scared of trimming them back too far and them bleeding...could never forgive myself...so to save me the trauma I'll pay the hefty £3 each! :lol:

I would if they'd let me! But yes their claws are white so it's easy enough to see (though I could do with more practise). My vets do it for free though which is nice of them.

Hey, mine are both off to the vets tomorrow to have their nails clipped and their teeth checked. I have a health package so their nails are free too

I do my bunnies toenails...I do it just to where the fur ends so its just the ends really.They dont mind.
I also do the ferrets toenails too but theyve been trained to just put their paws in my hands and I snip quick.Very well behaved...:p:love:

Does everyone go to their vets then...I'm going to the local pet shop, they know me and they off grooming services for all animals inc bunnies and are really really good, last time I went it was for Bella and they only charged me a £1 because only back ones needed doing...so both going back tomorrow ....

I do my bunnies toenails...I do it just to where the fur ends so its just the ends really.They dont mind.
I also do the ferrets toenails too but theyve been trained to just put their paws in my hands and I snip quick.Very well behaved...:p:love:

:shock::shock: :lol::lol:

I do mine myself. My vets charge £12 for nail clipping so it would cost me a fortune! Strawberrys are always fun! On a good day I will lose a finger and he loses a nail. One a bad day he keeps his nails!

I do all of mine, white and brown claws and i do the cats as well, its really easy when you know how, also easy if they are being fed treats at the same time :roll:

I do mine myself. The bunnies are pretty well behaved and don't seem to mind. As half of their run is on concrete, they don't need doing that often though.
They all had a pedicure this weekend actually - good excuse for a big cuddle from me :D

nope i go to the vets... (its £11) but ste wont help me and when lucy came the other week to help me do pearls i was a total wreak :oops::oops::oops:

at the vets i just hand them over and they get handed back claws clipped :lol::lol::lol:

I do mine. Pipkin is usually well behaved but once he wriggled and I caught the quick a little bit. It bled quite a lot but I think I was more worried about it that he was.
I've only done Ruby's front paws so far but she was good for that.

I find it easiest to sit them on my lap and sort of lean over them, then lift the feet up one at a time.

I have always done my own. Only problems I've ever had are with black claws, and I've only ever nipped one claw (a black one) in years of clipping. I felt so guilty though :oops:

i used to do bisc and matts but now they are at the vets so regularly that i get them done there when they need them doing! they have dark nails but i've never caught them. i just take the very end off and do them more regularly. when they lived outside i never had to do them once.

the piggies have clear nails and i thought that would be much easier, and then went and caught chesney's because he moved as i clipped. i felt so guilty. haven't done it since, always manage well now.

bisc, matt and maisie will have them clipped no problem, but ches squirms quite a bit. i have to trick him and do them when he is distracted by some veg! :)

I trim Nummy's nails myself too. I find he behaves better for the vet though! :lol: I often find that if I wrap Nummy in a rabbit burrito and cover his little eyes he is alot calmer when I trim them like that. Otherwise he gets all fussy and won't let me even look at his nails lol :shock:

I often find that if I wrap Nummy in a rabbit burrito and cover his little eyes he is alot calmer when I trim them like that. Otherwise he gets all fussy and won't let me even look at his nails lol :shock:

My Vin is like this too. Actually, she's not calmer, just manageable :lol: She's not a fan of being picked up, and definitely not of burritos!

I do mine myself, I have only had one mishap when I couldn't see properly and should've gone somewhere more light. :oops: I often have flour on hand, I also put pressure on it but unfortunately it wasn't enough on that occasion and we had to go to the vets. :(

Anyway, we do ours at home mainly to not stress them, especially Nutmeg, she's the toughest and I have to take her downstairs in front of the big windows with the light on. Not only does she fidget and move like mad she also has some brown nails. So I do a couple, leave her a while, do a few more, leave her, etc. Really not possible to do that at the vets. I also find it easier if I do it myself without someone helping for some reason. Possibly cos then I can contort into a variety of positions so I'm moving around the rabbit not the other way round.

I do Alfie and Bubbles's nails myself. The vets charge around £16 a time so I had to learn. :lol:

Lou helped me when she popped round just before Christmas and it was a lot easier with somebody who knew what they were doing holding them still - if dh helps me, the buns sense we're both worried about cutting their toes off and wriggle a lot more. :oops::lol::lol:

I've bought the clippers and I really should. Last time I took Esme to the vets for it done the vet nurse very kindly let me do it under her supervision and it was really easy. Esme was such a good girl... but she had somone holding her which made it easier. I really should be doing them myself. I had convinced myself that Esme had dark claws as well and they are not - you can see the quick in most of them (no excuses then, really :oops:)

Esme is going to her Auntie Frances for a myxi jab today so I'm wimping out and having her claws done at the same time. There's no way I could do Tinks' though - last time she went for them doing there was a possibility she would need sedation to get the job done ... but she stayed calm enough with her Auntie F's expert handling :D

We will be trying out our posh new carrier too

Back