• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your bottle of Metacam leak or am I doing something wrong?

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
Inky has been on Metacam through the winter for the last couple of years for his joint problems. This isn't a problem and he only has 2 drops a day.

However, my Metacam bottles always leak! I must lose about a fiver's worth with each bottle:roll:. Is there any trick to stopping the leak?

Thanks,

FC x

Could you mention it to the vet and get them to dispense it in a different container?

I use the dog metacam and yes, it does leak a bit when you shake the bottle. But if you take the lid off, stick a finger over the hole and THEN shake, you don't lose any :lol::lol:

I use the metacam syringe that comes with the product to draw some of the drug out of the bottle and then I stick a 1ml syringe into the end of the metacam syringe (fits perfectly) and draw up the required amount. Saves having to cut the top off the bottle like Janak does - less messy too (although you do end up washing two syringes all the time).

I use the dog metacam and yes, it does leak a bit when you shake the bottle. But if you take the lid off, stick a finger over the hole and THEN shake, you don't lose any :lol::lol:

I use the metacam syringe that comes with the product to draw some of the drug out of the bottle and then I stick a 1ml syringe into the end of the metacam syringe (fits perfectly) and draw up the required amount. Saves having to cut the top off the bottle like Janak does - less messy too (although you do end up washing two syringes all the time).

I try that! :)

Why do you need to cut the tops off the bottle? They just pull out to leave an open top to fit 1ml syringes in the bottle.

And yes after septrin I find metacam the messiest medication

Why do you need to cut the tops off the bottle? They just pull out to leave an open top to fit 1ml syringes in the bottle.

And yes after septrin I find metacam the messiest medication

Septrin is soooo sticky! And it stinks of banana for days if you spill the tinest drop!

rosie had a bottle of metacam, no leaks with ours, vet advised us not to use it while she having steroids injections though, they were worried about ulcers forming

I use the metacam syringe that comes with the product to draw some of the drug out of the bottle and then I stick a 1ml syringe into the end of the metacam syringe (fits perfectly) and draw up the required amount.

Why don't you just do a conversion from the amount of dosage in the ml syringe and draw up the right amount straight from the metacam syringe and give it straight from that? That's all I do - no leaking, no faff.

I have dog metacam for Santa and cat metacam for...errr...one of the cats, and have never had a problem with either of them leaking when I shake the bottle with the lid on or dispense it straight from the dropper into the syringe.

Back