• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D on April - she's gone

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
She has bloat :cry: and has seen the vet. She (April, not the vet :oops:) just passed a large, hard lump of what looked like critical care (I've been syringe feeding it). Is this a good sign - ie that she passed something - or a bad sign that it looked undigested? It's the first thing she's passed since yesterday, so surely that's good in one way?

The only things she'll eat voluntarily at the moment are spring greens and blackberry leaves. Is it safe to give her these or will the greens in particular make her more gassy?

ETA She's had three injections including metacam and is on zantac and infacol and something that sounds like maxadone or similar...

Last edited:
Hi Nicky
If you still have lump of what she passed then I'd say take it..and maybe her..top your vet and get them to see exactly what it is and to feel her tum again
She should be encouraged to mover around as bit as this can help the gas to move through her system..if she is dehydrated she made need sub cut fluids

if she is passing something that is good but not if undigested:(
I'd hold off the greens and try some grated carrot, parsnip and maybe a small amount of banana mashed up

Hope she pulls through..she is such a lovely girl xxx

Last edited:
Hi Nicky
If you still have lump of what she passed then I'd say take it..and maybe her..top your vet and get them to see exactly what it is and to feel her tum again
if she is passing something that is good but not if undigested:(
I'd hold off the greens and try some grated carrot, parsnip and maybe a small amount of apple and banana mashed up

Hope she pulls through..she is such a lovely girl xxx

Okay - thanks - she has an appointment made for 9.30 tomorrow morning so will take it to that unless - fingers crossed - things have normalised in the meantime, in which case I'll still take her but not what she passed! :shock: Will go and grate some carrot now and try the apple in a very small quantity later on...I'm relieved it's not a blockage. I've gotten quite a lot of critical care into her today, so hopefully more will start coming through now.

Nicky I've just deleted the apple.as included it by mistake:oops: as normally use this for post op buns not eating mixed with banana..but with bloat I'd not use apple
also added other advice keep me posted x

Nicky I've just deleted the apple.as included it by mistake:oops: as normally use this for post op buns not eating mixed with banana..but with bloat I'd not use apple
also added other advice keep me posted x

Oooh okay...I was a bit unsure which was why I said I'd try it later, but I'll stick with the other things you've suggested...

Off to get some more critical care into her now, and some more infacol, then I'll try to get her moving a bit...

Loads of vibes for April, when Loppy was poorly and starting to eat all he'd have was hay-LOTS of it.Wouldnt even look at pellets for about 2 days.I had lots of hay in different containers all over the house so where ever he was there was hay to nibble.

Poor April :cry:

Personally I would not feed any Veg like carrot or fruit as the sugars will exacerbate gut dysbiosis ie the sugars will 'feed' the 'bad' gut bacteria causing them to multiply rapidly.

The blackberry leaves are great to feed. Keeping her well hydrated is important so SQ fluids would be helpful. It's also important that she has good ongoing pain control.

xx

Poor April :cry:

Personally I would not feed any Veg like carrot or fruit as the sugars will exacerbate gut dysbiosis ie the sugars will 'feed' the 'bad' gut bacteria causing them to multiply rapidly.

The blackberry leaves are great to feed. Keeping her well hydrated is important so SQ fluids would be helpful. It's also important that she has good ongoing pain control.

xx

Okay thank you. It looks like I'll be off down the garden in a moment picking some more blackberry leaves...
I think the injections she had (metacam and something that's morphine related) will last 24 hours until she's back at the vets.... She's doing quite diluted wee now; is that a good sign? And we've just had a couple of dropping-shaped balls of critical care passed, not like the big lump she passed to start with but still not "right". She won't eat hay or even ready-grass at the moment. She was going to have her teeth checked under X ray (they were checked manually last week and seemed fine) today but vet's more concerned now about the bloat and keeping all pain, dental or bloat-related, under control..

It will be Maxalone she has had. Its a gut stimulant. When Snowdrop has bloat we get her through it with infacol 1ml every 6 hours, gentle tummy tubs, metacam and exercise. We feed her critical care and anything else she will eat, usually banana porridge. She also has a heat pad to sit on.

It is so painful for them that she wont want to move much but getting her hopping about is really important. Snowdrop also doesnt digest food properly at times, especially when she is stressed.

It can take up to a week for Snow to be back to normal just to give you a guideline of expectations.

Loads of vibes for her, I know how stressfull it can be. xxx

It will be Maxalone she has had. Its a gut stimulant. When Snowdrop has bloat we get her through it with infacol 1ml every 6 hours, gentle tummy tubs, metacam and exercise. We feed her critical care and anything else she will eat, usually banana porridge. She also has a heat pad to sit on.

It is so painful for them that she wont want to move much but getting her hopping about is really important. Snowdrop also doesnt digest food properly at times, especially when she is stressed.

It can take up to a week for Snow to be back to normal just to give you a guideline of expectations.

Loads of vibes for her, I know how stressfull it can be. xxx

Thanks - yes - that's the stuff!
I'll try keeping her moving...when/how does the air disappear so she stops looking so distended? Poor little girl :( Also, what position should she be in to be massaged?

Thanks - yes - that's the stuff!
I'll try keeping her moving...when/how does the air disappear so she stops looking so distended? Poor little girl :( Also, what position should she be in to be massaged?

I am not sure where they erm.... pass it.... or it just breaks up inside them. I have Snowdrop just sat normally on my knee and then gently massage her underneath. She hates it though so would rather run about to keep away from me. Snowdrop looks like a balloon when she has bloat, she sits hunched up and grinds her teeth in pain. Its horrid to watch.

I am not sure where they erm.... pass it.... or it just breaks up inside them. I have Snowdrop just sat normally on my knee and then gently massage her underneath. She hates it though so would rather run about to keep away from me. Snowdrop looks like a balloon when she has bloat, she sits hunched up and grinds her teeth in pain. Its horrid to watch.

Okay thank you; that's really helpful. April is distended but not grinding her teeth so that's something...she looks balloon-like in some respects but maybe not as much as you're describing... It must be a horrible condition for them - do you know what triggers it?

Off to vets in a few minutes. She's still very bloated this morning, but did eat about three blackberry leaves and licked a bit of critical care herself. Will see what vet says.

Vet said this morning that she seemed slightly better and gave her another injection. Since I've been home she's eaten a bit - I went and bought her some fresh parsley and coriander which she's nibbled at - plus I syringe fed her some critical care and she's had a few mouthfuls of porridge with softened pellets (one of the few things she'll eat voluntarily).

But the best news of all is she just tried to chew her towel/dug to rearrange it/tipped her food bowl over twice, followed by her water bowl....Compared to yesterday when she was just lieing flat all day that's got to be an improvement...:?

Have just taken a picture of her to compare with one I took yesterday - to me she looks much less bloated, or am I imagining things?

Yesterday - really upsetting to see her like this :cry:

Picture1362.jpg

Picture1364.jpg

and just now...not back to normal yet but so much better, I think

Picture1369.jpg

Picture1372.jpg

She definitely looks much better in the latter photos.

I've had bunnies with bloat but not looked like poor April, poor poor girl that must have been really uncomfortable.

(Poor you too, I'd be in orbit seeing one of my babes like that :cry:)

:cry::cry::cry::cry: ive never seen a bunny with bloat.. poor poor litte angel she must of felt so poorly :cry::cry:

the latest pic she looks almost back to normal :D :love::love:

well done getting her through it hun xxx

Back