• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my little girl is back from her spay and not eating or drinking..

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Is this very normal for recently spayed girlies? Ralph had made his way through half of the vet's hay by the time I picked him up from his neuter! But Ruby is subdued and sad-looking. How long do I wait before I take her back in?

It's a much more invasive kind of surgery and my girls took longer to recover than the boys..I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice to help you properly in a minute. I don't think Scamper ate until the next day...:?

Like Tinsel said it is a much bigger operation for girls. My Smokey took a while to start munching again and she loves eating!

If she has a rabbit friend, I would let him/her in with her (supervised) if you can, they'll give her some comfort and make her heal quicker. I would also try tempting her with her favourite foods, carrot tops and grated carrot/apple usually go down well. Offer her water in a bowl too and some hay. If you put everything in easy reach, she'll be more likely to munch.

Other than that, I would leave her quietly but just keep an eye on her, she will feel quite rubbish for a few hours. If she hasn't eaten anything by tomorrow morning, I would definitely take her back.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

yes its normal - Sooty was very quiet for the first 24 hours, just try and tempt her with ANYTHING and make sure she is warm - dandelion and herbs worked with mine!

It seemed like ages before she ate - but she did drink alot so just keep an eye on her - Im sure she will be fine xx

yes it's normal. did the vet give you some pain relif for her such as metacam? as in my experience they do need it and my vet never gave me it until i asked him!

I found Molly was afraid to move after her spay, it must feel pretty weird to them
I spent a couple of days hand feeding her her favourite foods, mostly parsley and pellets. It was a good few days before she was back to her normal eating habits.

rosie was like that when i had her done, try and tempt her with favourite treats to eat. with rosie it was banana or toast :), seems along time ago now

Thanks guys! I will grate some stuff up for her in a minute... Ralph is being really sweet and sitting by her licking her back! It's just so gorgeous to watch!

Oh, and the vet didn't give me any metacam :(

They said she'd had a metcam injection and an anti-biotic injection but they gave me nothing to take home. Luckily they're 200 yards away if I need to take her back in...

:wave: Been reading with interest as have Ness going in for her spay at the end of the month, my vets wouldn't give me Metacam after Gizmo was neutered they said I would have to take him in again:roll: but, I was going to ask for it for Ness - did you ask for it and they said no ? How long does a doe need pain relief the injection they gave Gizmo was for 24 hours apparently and he was fine but, as has been said surely a spay is more painful as it's all internal? Although thinking about it, when the dog was spayed they didn't prescribe painkiller.

Last edited:
When I had Marge spayed, I had to ask the vet for Metacam. However, the vet warned me not to give her any pain relief until the next day as she had been given some (pain relief) before the operation. I was paranoid because she would not eat after the spay, so syringe fed her critical care which she was happy to have. She was still not completely well the following day, so I continued with critical care despite the fact that she started eating a little bit.:oops: I also gave her metacam. The day after (2 days after the op) she was almost back to normal. :)
Sending lots of vibes for your little girl xxx

Sooty was the same as Marge - Antigones post above regarding the pain relief - I was given mine without asking but had to wait until the next day - i got up really early to give her some in the morning!! :oops:
She perked up after her second dose - it must be really painful for them -I wouldnt like to have my bits whipped out without paih relief! I would maybe take her back or ask for some in the morning if she hasnt perked up.

xx

She should have been given metacam at the vets which should last 24 hours and you can administer more tomorrow if she needs it. I would check the bill and be sure they have given her metacam, which they will have charged for on the bill.

My girls were very quiet when they were spayed and did not eat until much later in the evening.

that's what our vet does

Mine too, I will ask but, I am not hopeful they will give it out, they are against medicating at home with this as it's only licensed on dogs and they said because the rabbit is so small they like to minimise the chemicals going round the system:? I did argue but, to no avail they insisted it was safer for me to take him back and they would inject it to last 24 hours.
My dog only had an injection at the vets aswell and was fine without pain relief, if only they could talk ....:roll:

Ralphy is being very protective of her :love::love::love:

IMG00111-20100118-2102.jpg

It's fine that she's only eaten hay, but it doesn't sound like she's eating enough of it. How about trying some pellets soaked in water for a few seconds to make them a bit squishy? Sometimes that can help.

Ralphy is such a sweet boy:love:
If Ruby is still not wanting to eat much, I would get her back into the vets for another pain injection. That is what I had to do with Crystal as they didn't want to send any metacam home with me. She did really perk up about twenty minutes after the second injection and I was glad I went.

Back