• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bunny going out in the garden

lauras

Young Bun
Hello everyone :wave:

We've had our bunny Bob since August now and he is a house bunny. We have never let him out in the garden as we always worried about the change in temperature from house to garden.

Since joining here and reading all your posts am thinking that he might enjoy a bit of a run in the garden (once bunny proofed).

Is it ok for him to eat the grass in the garden as hes never done it before or should we watch him on that?

Also should we wait until summer to start letting him out or is it ok in winter as long as its not too cold? I would never force him so would just leave the door open and see if he fancied going out and leave it open for him to come back in. I just dont want him going out in winter if it wont do him any good.

Thanks guys

when letting him out for the first time you need to make sure he doesnt eat too much grass, as if he hasnt had any before it will give him runny pooos. :wave:

so keep close eye on him for the first couple of times he is out :)

Let him out for sure.
He will love it.
Just make sure you stay out there with him, you'll soon see he loves it.
Try taking him out for the first time when he is up and around inside.
I bet you will get a happy binkey out of him within minutes :)

Brilliant I'll definitely give it a go and I'll be watching him with that grass :)

Do you think its ok to do it in winter when the temperature is a bit milder (ie not when its freezing) If it was cold I guess he wouldnt go out there or would come back in anyway? Hes just had an operation anyway (although hes back to his usual self) so I wouldnt be doing it until his wound is 100% healed and better and I know its ok to do it.

Lauraocal - Hes just had his leg amputated so it would be a 3 legged binky. Bless :)

Whe I first took Blue outside he was frightened of the grass (silly bun!!!)
I would wait until around March time, it won't be so chilly then. Blues doesn't do the running around crazyness I was exprecting....all he seems to do is eat and then have a snooze. Lazy fat little pud!!!
I always let him out in a pen, as I'm not sure on some of the plants in the garden, and we can't do anything about them as we are in a rented house. When we have our own place though they will be able to freerange (with supervision)

I have a house bunny too and although I dont take her out in the snow or rain, I just let her out today for the first time in weeks.
I think you would know if your bun wasnt happy outside.

I imagine a 3 leg binkey is the cutest thing in the world :love:

I have a house bunny too and although I dont take her out in the snow or rain, I just let her out today for the first time in weeks.
I think you would know if your bun wasnt happy outside.

I imagine a 3 leg binkey is the cutest thing in the world :love:

God yeah Bob wouldnt do anything he didnt like. If he didnt want to go out he just wouldnt do it. He does his own thing and just does as he pleases :D I think your right and he would love it though

Yes Im hoping we see one at some point - its only been a week though and he just getting back to normal

I let my two house rabbits out in the garden all year round, they love it and they're used to it.

I think with yours as he's not acclimatized (and depending on how warm you have your house heated normally), I would keep his visits out quite short. They dont always have the sense to come in :roll:

The best times of day are mornings and evenings (ie, when he's naturally at his most active). I prefer mornings with my two at the moment as it's a little bit warmer once the sun's up (I'm letting them out less in the evenings, once it's dark, as I'm not sure Muppet should experience that much cold that cold whilst he's not well).

All things being equal, I leave the door open - they come and go as they please until either (a) I'm cold and make them come in or (b) they naturally come in or (c) I see they've stopped running around and make them come in. In the summer the door pretty much stays open all day when I'm home.

I wouldnt let a house rabbit out at the minute if they are not used to going outside. I think the temperature change would be too much for them. I would wait untill March time and then start doing it gradually.

You can pick grass and bring it in for them to get them used to eating it.

Ooh, please take some pics when he does go out, our three had an abolute whale of a time the first time they were actually allowed to run on grass.

I take Hunny Bunny out with me in the yard and garden as long as I am with her all the time. She stays by me at all times. I think baby bunnies when the mother rabbit moves and put them in a different place, the babies know to stay and not move. Hunny is still that way. When I take her somewhere, she stays in the same place or stays by me. I let her nibble a little bit of grass but keep a close eye on her to not let her eat anything that is not good for her. She loves clover and that is good for them. Also, dandelions are a real treat for rabbits.

Back