• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Queensland

angelmouse

Mama Doe
I woke up to the fact it's illegal to keep a pet rabbit in Queensland this morning, and that if you do you can face a fine of up to $30,000 AUS and your rabbit euthanized. This is under the 2002 Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management Act). How is this fair?

The blog I woke up to

Queensland prohibited pets list

Rabbits - the most common illegal pet pdf

I can understand some of the points slightly yes, but surely the facts are that if your bunny is neutered and escapes then the chances of it surviving are low from predators, and if it does then its not going to be able to add to the population of wild bunnies. But a proposal in 1994 to allow desexed rabbits was rejected.

Such a lovely thing to wake up to, no? Sighs, I suppose I should go back to my work thats due in in a few hours, and be glad I live somewhere where I'm allowed to own a rabbit/the sanity associated with them.

I knew that! :(:( Also, it's illegal to give the myxi vaccine in the whole of Australia. I guess it's too hard to make sure people adhere to the neutering....think of what a problem we have in this country. It's easier to just ban them. In a way I think that's better than being able to have one, but not being able to vaccinate it!:(

Back