• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Disinfecting after pasturella worried & have questions.

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
After loosing my 2 buns to pasturella (one had snuffles and discharge from the nose and the other had pasturella in her blood with spinal/hip abcesses.
They were living in seperate hutches one on top of the other, could this be a link. I'm just worried about my other buns and i'm extremley fretfull at the moment. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to reduce the bacteria from the back yard and my carpets. I had brought them both inside so i thought i might use hot water and carpet cleaner for the room. I just wondered about cleaning the yard and hutches. I've washed all my clothes and bunny towels on a 60 degree wash is this high enough. I can't find any info on the net i'm so very worried about my other buns.
Does anyone have any ideas?:(

Most rabbits carry the pasteurella bacteria, but it lays dormant until the rabbit is unwell, stressed, etc. If the 2 rabbits who died were in contact with your others, then chances are they are carriers too.

The best thing you can do for your remaining rabbits is to:
- keep them in a dry, clean and well ventilated environment
- feed them top quality rabbit pellets, hay, and greens
- minimize stress as much as possible

Pasteurella is spread via muccous...so affected rabbits must be kept at least sneezing distance away from other rabbits. You should also use surgical gloves and a different set of clothes or an apron when handling the affected rabbit.

I don't think pasteurella can survive away from the host creature for any great length of time, so simple cleaning and disinfecting should be fine.

Virkon is a really useful disinfectant, you can buy it from online retailers such as sphs supplies, the hay experts, hyperdrug etc. It can be used once made up for I think 5-7 days, the solution is pink, it goes clear once it's efficacy has gone. You can wash things in the solution, leave them to soak, it's also used as an aerosol disinfectant. Many vets, dental surgeries kennels & catteris use it. I have used it in the opast when my dog had a litter. It's effective against many bacteria, viruses, fungi etc, used for things such as parvo

Pet Virkon Disinfectant is the must economic solution for a clean and hygienic household for pets and the whole family - it is safe to use with all small animals and around the home. Just one scoop of Virkon powder per bucket of water is all you need - and one 500g bottle will make 50 litres of disinfectant. It is ideal for use in trigger spray bottles once mixed with water.

The patented Virkon composition works by the physical destruction of micro-organisms providing exceptional performance against a broad spectrum of virus, bacteria (all the major food poisoning bacteria) and fungi.

Despite this powerful use, Virkon is safe to use, non-toxic, non-sensitising, and biodegradable. It is compatible with a wide range of materials including stainless steel, plastic and rubber and does not have any nasty or strong vapours or smells ... in fact it has a faint lemony odour!

Used in hospital, veterinary and home applications - totally versatile

Hope this helps, it's not cheap, but a little goes a long way :D

Back