• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you say/do anything?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Last summertime my neighbour found a rabbit wandering around outside our house. She managed to catch it and asked me to look after it, as she knew I had rabbits. I did have a spare run and gave the rabbit some food & water, the rabbit seemed fine in itself, wasn't skinny and looked healthy.

Anyway, my rabbits (I had two at the time) went mad at this 'new' rabbit so after a short period of time, I passed on the rabbit to my other neighbour, who had a spare hutch / run and no other rabbits to think about. We did a few posters and after a few days the rabbit was returned to its owner. It lives in the street behind our houses and I heard that it was 'always' escaping.

Roll forward to tonight, we get a note through the door asking us if we had seen a rabbit, it had escaped and the owner was looking for it. There is a picture of two rabbits and the one that isn't missing looks like the one that we found last summer (ie they are a pair and both like to have a wander!).

We haven't seen the other rabbit but will keep an eye out for it (and worry bless in this weather - it is a house rabbit by the looks of the picture).

But other than that - would you do anything? I feel like I should ask them to patch up the hole that the rabbits are escaping from. It seems so unfair to the rabbits and who knows what might happen to them. I have the address (it was on the leaflet) but dont know the owners. Would you maybe write an 'anon' note with some advice. Or knoor on the door (not sure I am that brave?) or just leave well alone as they dont seem to take any notice (ie if I lost one of my rabbits, then I would be checking EVERYTHING and adding 'security' in!)

just feel sorry for the poor little rabbits x

Oh dear :roll:
Personally I dont think i could do nothing, but what path of action to take is difficult. Maybe the rabbits are very well cared for and that they took action after the first escapee but an oversight lead to another escapee.
I think id probably post an anon letter stating that it is the second time this has occured and that if the problem isnt corrected action will be sought. Hopefully they might think its from animal welfare and be scared into loosing their buns.
It is so difficult to know what to do, but i think your heart will lead you in the best direction.
Good luck and keep us updated :)

I think by posting notes through neighbors doors they obviously care for the bunnies. I mean how many of us have had escapes?

I think you should go round and ask them if they want any help patch up holes or anything like that. Maybe say you're a rabbit owner yourself and that you'll keep looking for their bun. That way you'll be able to assess the situation better and see what their living conditions are like. It would put your mind at rest at least.

Plus if they're not very nice you can then contact the RSPCA and let them know the situation. Their bun may have already been handed in.

I think Jenova is right.
I consider myself a very caring rabbit owner, and those who know me will support that.
However I had one particular rabbit who should have been called Houdini!

Where previous rabbits had been contained, this one managed to get out-on several occasions- despite my husbands best efforts in securing the perimeter. We would do daily checks thinking there were no gaps under the trees by the fence but somehow she would find a gap.

Eventually we managed to super bunny-proof the garden-and she didnt escape after that. None of our other rabbits escaped- only her. (I took her on as she was going to be "got rid of" by the previous owners who had had problems with her escaping).

I was fortunate in that I managed to find her myself in neighbouring gardens on all but one occasion, which was when she ventured further afield into another street- luckily the lady that found her knew she was ours and returned her.

I don't think this lady would be pushing leaflets through doors if she didnt care.
However I think she would be grateful (if a bit embarassed)to know you had cared for one of her bunnies before(if it is the same bun as they can look alike?)and would be pleased to know she has a neighbour who cares about rabbits. Don't pre-judge her- she may have a "Houdini" too.-sue:wave:

ps -you mention "the" hole, but in our case it was never the same place. You wouldn't believe what tiny gaps they can squeeze through when they've dug a bit of earth away !

Last edited:
Is their rabbit escaping isn't a big enough motivator to patch up holes I don't think there is much you can do :(

Its always good to meet other rabbit owners, and we can all learn from advice.

Maybe on seeing her set up there may be advice that could be given on the best way to bunny-proof that particular garden?

I think a friendly approach is worth a try.-sue:wave:

Thanks everyone, I think I might be brave and knock on the door, offer some help (ie patching up holes) and see how things go from there.

One of my rabbits has escaped before, so I know it can happen! Bugs dug a hole under the fence and was enjoying the grass of next doors garden. He wasn't gone long and shortly afterwards I was putting netting down under the fence/grass so now if they dig they can't get through as the netting stuff stops them.

Like I say, my gut feeling is that they are looked after (they look well in the photo/last time I saw the bun and the fact they have done a leaflet shows willing) but it concerns me that this is twice that I know of and that people have said it 'always' happens and one day they might not be so lucky as to actually get returned.

I will muster up some courage x

Edit: you are right, it might be a different bun, but I know it is in the same street as last time and the bun does look the same.

Last edited:
Good for you and I am glad that you are going to take the friendly approach too. I know I would be very pleased to meet some other bunny lovers in real life too.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes

Angela

Back